Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2007 Gradomg Crash

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
TTrumb
94 Views, 3 Replies

2007 Gradomg Crash

So I'm trying to grade a pond. It appears that the grading tools can only function with the simplest of designs. If I try to grade from a smoothed feature line, edit a grading group, or add more slopes to a grading group, the program freezes. Has anyone else had a similar experience and/or is Autodesk aware of this problem?
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: TTrumb

I'm not having too much luck with it either. I've just chalked it up to me
not being to savvy on the grading tools and proceedures yet. maybe that's
not the case.

Shawn
Message 3 of 4
yockey

Apparently 2007 is better however here are some tips that have worked for me with 2006.

Keep your feature lines simple. A sharp corner in a basin/pond may look like crap on paper but the contractor will get the idea. I have had luck creating a feature line with a circle/arc, then exploding, then turning back into a feature. Not sure what the program is doing there but its worked. I have had luck using multiple grading groups for a single area of a development, like building pads.... make a group for the front, side and back of the building, if your interested in volumes (ie. cut and fill numbers) this method deosn't help you but it works. I have also found that if you wait until you are finished with your gradings before you create a surface the program is more stable. I have also found that after you have created a surface your satisified with it, lock it.... and try not to breath on it too hard...

Grading infills... Don't do too many at a time.

If your creating gradings and then deleting them... or when they dissapear and your trying to go back to a good starting point use your drawing audit. It finds them, I guess in some database, and removes them from the group.

super cool stuff it just takes patience and manager not breathing down your neck for billable time. DOH, just noticed your on 2007, I need a vacation
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

TTrumb wrote:
> So I'm trying to grade a pond. It appears that the grading tools can
> only function with the simplest of designs. If I try to grade from a
> smoothed feature line, edit a grading group, or add more slopes to a
> grading group, the program freezes. Has anyone else had a similar
> experience and/or is Autodesk aware of this problem?

I'm having the same problem. I've got a feature line with curved
fillets in it that I'm trying to grade out as a pond. I offset the
edge of the pond 10' and can grade in at a relative elevation of -10 and
a slope of 4:1, but when I try to grade the outer edge of the berm back
down at either a 2:1 or 3:1 slope, it freezes almost every single time.
Thing is, I've done this exact pond (it's a product demo, so believe
me, I'm doing it the exact same every single time) and it works about
40-50% of the time correctly.

Grading is better. MUCH better. But it definitely ain't perfect yet.

--
Jason Hickey

http://beneaththelines.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report