Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Pipe Display in Profile

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
KirkNoonan
1060 Views, 5 Replies

Strange Pipe Display in Profile

I don't do it this way very often, so I haven't really noticed before. I have a profile view with the vertical exaggeration set to 1. The horizontal 24" diameter pipes in the view measure 2' across as expected. A 24" diameter pipe sloping upward or downward at 45 degrees measures 1.47' across. Since there is no exaggeration going on, the pipes should all be the same size regardless of orientation, right? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I'm missing here?

Thanks,

Kirk

IDS 2017 Premium

Civil 3D 2017 SP 1.1

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
MarySeufert
in reply to: KirkNoonan

Personally having a hard time visualizing your issue.  A picture is worth a thousand words!

Depending on how a pipe crosses the profile's alignment will alter how it is drawn in profile view. Close to perpendicular it will draw a segmented circle. A more exaggerated crossing angle will result in a squished looking pipe. 

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 3 of 6
KirkNoonan
in reply to: MarySeufert

pipes.PNG

The pipes follow the alignment. Actually, the alignment is the centerline of the pipes. They are not crossing.

Message 4 of 6
cwr-pae

does the pipe have a steep slope?

Message 5 of 6
cwr-pae
in reply to: cwr-pae

dang interruptions.

ACad draws the pipe in profile with the diameter vertical, not perpendicular to the pipe (ie: if the pipe has a steep slope it draws pipe as a polygon with the ends vertical and the sideswalls following the slope) This doesn't matter much in a distorted view, but is way wrong in a 1:1 view.

Message 6 of 6
MarySeufert

Civil 3D (and LDT before it) draws the pipes diameter vertically, not realistically...

C3D-PipeInProfile.PNG 

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report