Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Precision of the program

44 REPLIES 44
Message 1 of 45
jessica.miller
911 Views, 44 Replies

Precision of the program

How does one adjust the precision at which the program reads data?  We've been bitten more than once when the precision of one entity is 0.0000001 off from what it should be.  I'd like to set the working precision for the program to a lesser value.  In other words increase the tolerances of data input.  Please advise.  

Jessica Miller
Design Technician
CEC Corporation
4555 West Memorial Road, Oklahoma City, OK 73142
T: 405.753.4200
Dir: 405.753.4616
www.connectcec.com

44 REPLIES 44
Message 41 of 45
jessica.miller
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I'm not following...

Jessica Miller
Design Technician
CEC Corporation
www.connectcec.com

Message 42 of 45
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jessica.miller

OK 

what part don't you follow?

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 43 of 45
jessica.miller

see the attached.  I feel like we are going in circles on this...lol

Jessica Miller
Design Technician
CEC Corporation
www.connectcec.com

Message 44 of 45
dgorsman

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

you are asking to set the positional unitis in acad to 100th of a working unit. This is microstation language as I recall. It simply reminded me of that aspect of the program

Microstation handles its units a bit differently.  There are user-specified major unit divisions, and each major unit is divided into a number of user-specified minor divisions.  Those sub-divisions are stored as a separate number from the major division number so there can be precise numbers at very large coordinates.  But that's at the expense of storage space (needing to store two floating point numbers instead of just one), and it still fails when dealing with large ranges of major units.  Everything needs to be in an imaginary working box "box", like trying to keep everything close to the WCS in AutoCAD.

AutoCAD, on the other hand, stores its coordinate values as a single floating point number with equal precision WITH a caveat: very large coordinate values result in less precision being stored (read up on storing floating point values when there's a bit of time - not required reading but provides useful context on why some things do what they do).  So while geo-people like everything in meters and geodetic coordinates, it kinda messes up the engineering folks who work with millimeters since the coordinate values explode upwards to the point where necessary precision is lost; cue screaming about solids not revolving and 3D solids not rendering correctly on screen.

And now, for something completely different... aka back on topic.  Smiley LOL

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 45 of 45
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jessica.miller

Yep it sure does. Your users want to pick points, and that is what the graphical user interface is for. The software provides a tool for doing that with precision and that is the transparent command tool bar. The screen cast I provided demonstrates how to use it and how it matched the precision in both plan and profile.

I asked back in post 4 and you replied in post 5 that this is what your users do and is the problem. Then in post 36 I pressed further on the use of transparent command tools and you replied in 38 What is a trans parent command?

A transparent command is the answer to your graphical user interface issue with precision. If you don't want to key in exact numbers with 16 point floating decimal value you have to use the transparent tool bar to take advantage of precision and the GUI.

I don't know how else to explain it. There is no tool to restrict a randomly selected point to 2 decimal places. You have to use the tool as designed or get someone to program a third party app for you.

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report