Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

line with block

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
bforr
579 Views, 16 Replies

line with block

Remeber back in the LDD days the command to draw a line with whatever block you wanted inserted at whatever spacing?  I could've sworn I came across that somewhere in C3D in the past but cannot find it.  Is it there anywhere?  Anybody.  Anybody.  Bueller.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
awood
in reply to: bforr

I don't recall a particular command in LDT, but you just use the Measure or Divide command with a block...

HTH

Awood

Message 3 of 17
bdimenna

Try using path array.  Draw a line/polyline, place your block at one end, then start the path array from the array drop down list on the home tab.

Message 4 of 17
AllenJessup

I think that might have been part of Express Tools at that time. But It's been removed in the meantime.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 17
_Hathaway

Measure is the way to go.  Measure>select line of Pline> b >enter block name without aid of a pulldown> identify spacing.  Done!

Message 6 of 17
bforr
in reply to: AllenJessup

Yea I think it may have been in express at some point.  Would be handy right now.  Measure is about the only way to go now I suppose.  I was hoping to find a lisp somewhere.  I am not savy enough to make a linetype that would include a block.

Message 7 of 17
wfberry

Measure is in Express Tools.

I have Express Tools on my Ribbon.  Is this what you are saying is not available?

Bill

As far as the linetype is concerned.  All you have to do is make what you want with txt (Not Mtext), size it to suit, use the MKLTYPE ( make linetype)  command and you have it.

I cannot remember if you can put a block in it.

Message 8 of 17
bforr
in reply to: wfberry

Thanks for your reply.  I can do linetypes with text, but would like to put a block in the definition.  The old menu choice was Line with Block.  Measure is an adequate way to go, but when you have to move or redirect you line you gotta do it all over again.

Message 9 of 17
wfberry

(Off the top of my head)

Can't you make an alignment with some "tics" on to do the same?

Bill

Message 10 of 17
bforr
in reply to: wfberry

The block i want to use is a bit more complicated.  I haven't been able to research it much.

Message 11 of 17
jmayo-EE

Creating linetypes is not a hard task. Learning this task is a much better option than slowing all of your files down with an abundance of blocks.

Search your hard drive for a file named AeccLand.lin

This file contains examples of linetypes with shapes that you can put to use immediately.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 17
bdimenna

I'm puzzled as to why everyone seems to have overlooked my solution of using a path array?  The end result is the same with the added benefit of it being dynamic for as long as want it to be. 

If you're going to be doing this over and over, then maybe making a custom linetype would be a better choice.. although the block size/scale would be fixed so you better hope all of your drawings required the block spacing to be the same.

Message 13 of 17
jmayo-EE
in reply to: bdimenna

Creating an array for ever fence, wall watermain etc is a huge waste of time. Linetypes are automatic and saved in your template for fast reproduction.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 14 of 17
_Hathaway
in reply to: bdimenna

You could also use figure styles which are found in survey>Figures>Figure Style.  They allow you to identify the marker(block) and have them show up at whatever interval you may need.  While I have never had the need to do this, if you have alot of these I would suggest setting up the proper figure styles accordingly.

Message 15 of 17
Joe-Bouza

That was always Express tools make line type ... its still there.

Alternately, use a civil3d line label style with the block and put it where you like; multi segment or less

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 16 of 17
bforr
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thanks everyone for the responses.  Every suggestion has merit and uses. I have learned a few new goodies and that is always a good day.  Unless I didn't or don't fully know the commands i played with, it still isn't quite what i am looking for.

Bryan

Message 17 of 17
bforr

edit....i didn't get to play with the survey function, but will.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report