Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i don't know why Civil 3D show a broken line in my sections view

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
mohsen.eng74
1322 Views, 23 Replies

i don't know why Civil 3D show a broken line in my sections view

Hello,

i'm working on a project and i try to use StrippigPavement Subassembly just in Fill section due to this instruction : Link

everything works great but in don't know why Civil 3D show a broken stripping line in my Cut sections. within this problem i'm unable to compute material.

i'm using Civil 3D 2016 SP3 but i've tested it on Civil 3D 2017 SP1 on another PC and nothing change.

All Pics Attached.

With Best Regards,

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
Dexterel
in reply to: mohsen.eng74

after a fill condition you create a sidewalk. You need to revaluate if after making the sidewalk you are still in fill.
Also its possible the right side to be in fill and left on cut. This means the corridor boundary can not be made from a FL. The problem to overcome is how to do the striping surface boundary.
If you upload a DWG it will be easier for me to check and give you a solution.
Is it 100% necessary that the striping surface boundary is dynamically?

Message 3 of 24
mohsen.eng74
in reply to: Dexterel

@ionescu_dragosWHU3X Thanks for your Replying. 

ionescu_dragosWHU3X wrote:

after a fill condition you create a sidewalk. You need to revaluate if after making the sidewalk you are still in fill.

yes, you're right but fortunately i'm not facing problem with that. (i will fix it) 

Also its possible the right side to be in fill and left on cut. This means the corridor boundary can not be made from a FL. The problem to overcome is how to do the striping surface boundary.
If you upload a DWG it will be easier for me to check and give you a solution.

Here you are : Google Drive File Link 

Is it 100% necessary that the striping surface boundary is dynamically?

yes, it's better for me to striping surface dynamically but if i couldn't overcome to this problem maybe i should check for another way. (also i wonder if you could explain other ways)

Message 4 of 24
Dexterel

For striping I usually prefer this:
Make new striping surface and past existing ground. Lower it by striping value.

Make volume surface from Top design and EG. Extract contour 0 and add it as boundary in my striping surface.

or use  _MinimumDistBetweenSurfaces (to add 3dpoly) but this dose not show which is cut and fill.

See dwg as example: in your dawing I used MinimumDistBetweenSurfaces and boundary from top surface.

Find out which boundary is cut and which is fill.

Use command bo to generate boundary's.

Message 5 of 24
mohsen.eng74

actually this is my first use of Civil 3D and i'm not really professional at it, so I'm very grateful to you if you could help me the dynamic striping pavement (the attached DWG file). [it's much easier than other ways]
i want to know what happens that cause this problem. i use striping pavement in fill section but i see it at Entirely cut section.

Thanks,

Mohsen Rahmati

Message 7 of 24
Dexterel

IMG 1

Remove surface boundary for striping

IMG 2

Go to striping surface definition build

Use maximum angle=100

Maximun triangle length =10

Message 8 of 24
Dexterel

Future cleaning the striping surface:

Add RED polylines as HIDE boundary in striping.

How I obtain red polylines:

Minimum distance between Striping and Datum, this adds yellow 3D polylines

Extract datum boundary's: this adds green 3D polylines

Convert 3D to 2D (command CONVERT3DPOLYS) and assign elevation 0 to all resulted normal polylines

Use command BO to quickly create closed red polylines.

Message 9 of 24
Jay_B

In the posted link, @mathewkol mentions the following:

"I’m using the DaylightMultiIntercept subassembly for my daylight and it doesn’t seem to work correctly when I attach the stripping to the fill lines (green), but it works great when I attach it to the red cut lines. Go figure."

I'm not sure if it will help in your case, but it might be worth a try to add the DaylightMultiIntercept subassembly prior to stripping subassembly, attached to cut lines as Matt suggests.

If that doesn't help, please post the dwg file.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 10 of 24
Dexterel
in reply to: Jay_B

can you post a link to the discussion, I'm interested to see.
Message 11 of 24
Jay_B

It's in the original post, click on "Link".

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 12 of 24
sboon

This is a known issue.  Some daylight subassemblies have a fixed set of points and links from attachment to the daylight location.  DaylightStandard is an example of this - the daylight point you see in layout mode is going to be the same one as you see in the corridor.  This guarantees that the stripping subassembly in the assembly will have an attachment point.

DaylightGeneral is an example of a sub with an indeterminate number of points/links.  There can be as many as eight cut links or three fill links prior to the hinge point.  This means that the point displayed in layout mode, where you attach the stripping subassembly may or may not exist in the corridor section.  Unfortunately this leaves the stripping sub without an attachment point, so it gets ignored.

Change your daylighting sub to another one, and see if that solves the problem.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 13 of 24
mohsen.eng74
in reply to: Jay_B

@Anonymous wrote:

In the posted link, @mathewkol mentions the following:

"I’m using the DaylightMultiIntercept subassembly for my daylight and it doesn’t seem to work correctly when I attach the stripping to the fill lines (green), but it works great when I attach it to the red cut lines. Go figure."

I'm not sure if it will help in your case, but it might be worth a try to add the DaylightMultiIntercept subassembly prior to stripping subassembly, attached to cut lines as Matt suggests.

If that doesn't help, please post the dwg file.

Thanks Jay_B for your replying,

it dosen't work for me (nothing change - the pics attached.). i want to stripp top soil just in fill sections but i see a broken stripping line in entirely cut section and i don't know why ? (also if i attached the stripping sub to green line (fill condition) new problem will occur with the previous one. the pic attached)

here is the DWG file : Google Drive File Link 

Message 14 of 24
mohsen.eng74
in reply to: sboon

@sboon wrote:

This is a known issue.  Some daylight subassemblies have a fixed set of points and links from attachment to the daylight location.  DaylightStandard is an example of this - the daylight point you see in layout mode is going to be the same one as you see in the corridor.  This guarantees that the stripping subassembly in the assembly will have an attachment point.

DaylightGeneral is an example of a sub with an indeterminate number of points/links.  There can be as many as eight cut links or three fill links prior to the hinge point.  This means that the point displayed in layout mode, where you attach the stripping subassembly may or may not exist in the corridor section.  Unfortunately this leaves the stripping sub without an attachment point, so it gets ignored.

Change your daylighting sub to another one, and see if that solves the problem.

Steve

Thanks sboon for your replying,

i used another subassembly due to Jay_B Guidance and nothing change even a new problem occurred with the previous one in a fill case (when i attached the stripp sub assembly to green line (fill condition). see the attached pics.
what subassembly do you prefer for my situation ?

Message 15 of 24
mohsen.eng74

@Dexterel wrote:

Convert 3D to 2D (command CONVERT3DPOLYS) and assign elevation 0 to all resulted normal polylines

Thanks Dexterel,

working on your Guidance, i hope to overcome to this problem. (this post will update soon)

Message 16 of 24
sboon

Try using DaylightStandard or a generic LinkSlopeToSurface.  Attach the stripping sub to the Cut daylight point; trying to attach it to the fill daylight generally won't work.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 17 of 24
mohsen.eng74
in reply to: sboon

@sboon wrote:

Try using DaylightStandard or a generic LinkSlopeToSurface.  Attach the stripping sub to the Cut daylight point; trying to attach it to the fill daylight generally won't work.

Steve

none of them works ! still the same problem occurs.

here is the DWG file : Google Drive File Link 

Message 18 of 24
mohsen.eng74

@Dexterel wrote:

IMG 1

Remove surface boundary for striping

IMG 2

Go to striping surface definition build

Use maximum angle=100

Maximun triangle length =10

@Dexterel wrote:

your instruction works great and the broken line at entirely cut section are not showing up again but now i'm facing another two problems.

1) in some cases the stripping line in sections doesn't have the value that i have input. i mean the thickness is not true. (see the attached pics "04-3x")

2) also in some cases civil 3d couldn't detect the stripping line in sections so it doesn't compute the topsoil stripping correctly. (see the attached pics "04-4")

Message 19 of 24
sboon

Yes, they do work.  I've replaced all of your DaylightGeneral subs, as I recommended and attached stripping subs to all of the possible daylight points.  Where you're in Cut I've set the stripping thickness to 0.0001  This allows you to create a single contiguous stripping surface across the entire corridor, so you don't have to mess around with multiple boundaries etc. to make it work.  I also changed your stripping surface definition to use links instead of featurelines, which is more appropriate for this surface.

I also cheated a bit on the ditch sections, using a simple LinkMulti sub to create them.  You may want to use multiple subs instead, so that you have better control over this.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 20 of 24
Dexterel

Just do this:
Create new surface and call it A (striping surface).
In A paste Existing terrain
Lower all elevations in A by -0.15m
Extract boundary from datum surface and add it to surface A.
Use minimum distance between Datum and A. and generate the hide boundary's like I said:
"Minimum distance between Striping and Datum, this adds yellow 3D polylines

Extract Datum boundary's: this adds green 3D polylines

Use command BO to quickly create closed red polylines."

To answer your question:
"1) in some cases the stripping line in sections doesn't have the value that i have input. i mean the thickness is not true. (see the attached pics "04-3x")"
This is usually because you don't have a corridor assembly insertion station exactly where the cross section is produced. Add a manual station in corridor at exact sample line station and this should be resolved.

2) also in some cases civil 3d couldn't detect the stripping line in sections so it doesn't compute the topsoil stripping correctly. (see the attached pics "04-4")
It seams to be the same problem as above or something went wrong when creating the hide boundary.

I created your stripping and looks ok to me (true did not spend so many time) I don't think you need to change anything in your Assembly. Make sure your corridor frequency exactly matches all sample lines.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report