Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export to AutoCAD from Civil 3D 2017

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
CAREYJOHANSON8667
315 Views, 4 Replies

Export to AutoCAD from Civil 3D 2017

I was forced to update to 2017 because of the high-resolution screens. I need to send the civil drawings to the land surveyors for field staking etc. The civil objects will not come through to their 2015 version. I need a quick resolution so the staged construction company is not pissing in the wind. Does anyone have a solution?  I really wish Autodesk did not do this! Or at least warn the hell out of people letting them know that their own product will not work with any other versions.

B.S.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Read HERE. The short answer is NO. But there are some workarounds like LandXML. For Survey staking - give them a point file.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
troop_lee
in reply to: AllenJessup

I don't know what the OP's situation is,

Points would not be a solution that I would use, we (my companys' files) don't have (cogo) points in our civil 3d drawings generally and we would have to spend extra time to generate them. So I'm not going to recommend to our engineers that we determine what points the surveyor receives to do layout work. I've been on the Surveyor side of that and I would be unhappy with an engineer just sending me points. That also creates a liability issue. If the surveyor uses the points from an engineer and those locations are not correct who is responsible? (it should be the engineer) So a surveyor should get the whole file and be allowed to generate their own points to do the layout job, that way everyone is responsible for their own product. If what the engineer sends the surveyor is not correct, but the surveyor lays it out according to those plans, then they can defer to the engineer. If the engineers designed something and it works, but the surveyor didn't lay it out correctly, then it's the surveyor who would be responsible. 

So my solution is landxml, we haven't done the jump to 17 (yet?) and when we do I will send landxml files to surveyors if they need them. 

Message 4 of 5

Yes, thank you for the explanation of all the reasons why this is even more important for the ability to share drawings in the way you intend. It is important. I will be sending XML files to the surveyors. And you are correct I do not want to spend all the time it takes to put together a control file with required day staking. Nor do I think they want this information. I do know they like the ability to open up my drawing and get the information they seek.

In my opinion, the only reason Autodesk changed the backward capability is to nail people to this ridiculous overpriced subscription service fees.  Well, I guess when you own boardwalk put a condo on it! But since I am bitching I still think Autodesk should pay me money for that god awful release they call 2007. Good lord that cost me a fortune in time and resources. 

Message 5 of 5

While I agree with your frustration, it is proper to provide survey information in the construction documents so a surveyor can stake the project. Hopefully that is the case so you are not responsible for holding up the project.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report