Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Designing a Golf Course

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
2956 Views, 7 Replies

Designing a Golf Course

Hi! I have a design and technology assignment that I am doing at
school. The task is to design a natural environment where there is a
need and that benefits the community. I have chosen to design a 9-hole
golf course. What I am unsure of is what software to download so I can
complete the project as efficiently and as easily as possible. Could
you please suggest some software that might be able to help me? Kind
Regards, Matt.

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
sboon
in reply to: Anonymous

Infraworks is probably your best option for this type of work.  It's intended to be used for conceptual design, and can pull data from a variety of online sources to build surface and other models.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 8
Joe-Bouza

If you like to design by pushing and pulling contours around I like using civil 3d grading infill.

my work flow starts with a closed alignment that approximates the limit of grading, surface profile existing, then  extract a feature line and infill this feature line. the initial contours act as a guide

First I would add additional closed feature lines to define tee boxes and greens and any pads. next I draft in poly line contours at elevation or extract some from the initial infill (weed), spline them and add to the grading as break lines. Careful with the number of vertices at this point.

My experience less is more and adjust the supplement value to attain smoothness. Now I can push and pull the contours and get dynamic results (judicius gripping helps maintain slopes. the limit of grading can be adjusted and the infill will update too

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Hello, I work for a golf course in china and we are going to be renovating 9 holes. The design company told us we need surveyors to map features with .5m contours so they can start their design work. I purchased a drone and software to map the 9 holes. With DroneDeploy I am able to export orthomosaics and elevation contours. The design company still wants a “proper” survey but I think they are just being lazy. Can you give me some insight on what I should do? I have geotiff, dwg contours, orthomosaics.. seems I have everything they need. They just need to import and draw in the fairway, greens, and tee lines.. hope you can help. Thanks
Message 5 of 8
drenaud

Did you (or can you) include control points to demonstrate that the accuracy is equal to or better than 0.5m?

Can you develop the basemap, that is - draw in the missing features, like fairways, and provide the imagery as supplemental data?

Depending on what software they are using to design the new holes I would probably export the surface you developed from the imagery in a LandXML format. If they are using a non-Civil 3D AutoCAD application you might give them the surface as represented by AutoCAD objects - 3dpolylines for breaklines, 3dfaces for the TIN, polylines for contours.

I generally make sure my data and drawings are correct and complete, then export in any number of formats for use by others. If they are not using Civil 3D make sure you export the C3D dwg to AutoCAD.

Message 6 of 8
wfberry

You did not mention this but you are going to need several good quality CONTROL POINTS throughout the project for you to get good contours.

Bill

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: drenaud

thanks for your help! There is the option of adding ground control points when processing the map. however there is another feature in dronedeploy software that allows you to calibrate the map by adding a known elevation to a certain point. So i believe the map is quite accurate within itself. i cannot draw the basemap. i actually dont havve autocad. I only have the maps and data that the designers can use.

I have many options for exportI have many options for exportC1 green example.JPGAvailable maps C1 xili golf.JPG

@drenaudwrote:

Did you (or can you) include control points to demonstrate that the accuracy is equal to or better than 0.5m?

Can you develop the basemap, that is - draw in the missing features, like fairways, and provide the imagery as supplemental data?

Depending on what software they are using to design the new holes I would probably export the surface you developed from the imagery in a LandXML format. If they are using a non-Civil 3D AutoCAD application you might give them the surface as represented by AutoCAD objects - 3dpolylines for breaklines, 3dfaces for the TIN, polylines for contours.

I generally make sure my data and drawings are correct and complete, then export in any number of formats for use by others. If they are not using Civil 3D make sure you export the C3D dwg to AutoCAD.

@drenaudwrote:

Message 8 of 8
drenaud

Control Points - There should be a number of control points on the ground (they physically exist, like an iron bar driven into the ground) whose XYZ positions are known by an actual GPS survey or other acceptable method. You then process your photos holding the known locations of the control points and forcing the rest of the imagery solution to adjust itself to the known control points. Does that make sense? When you say "i believe the map is quite accurate within itself" this is great, but how do you know for sure without using control points? How do you relate the map to the real world? Someone is going to have to build this thing and they will need control to do it.

I assumed that you were using AutoCAD since you are posting to the Civil 3D forum. Civil 3D is a set of civil engineering tools based on AutoCAD. When you run C3D you run AutoCAD. It's a good practice to indicate which software and version you are using when posting to the Autodesk forums, the replies you receive will be more relevant if you do. You might be better off contacting dronedeploy for help and support.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report