Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CIVIL 3D-HARDWARE PERFORMANCE

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
CADEngr2014
3223 Views, 27 Replies

CIVIL 3D-HARDWARE PERFORMANCE

Hello,

I am using Civil 3D 2017. I am having issues with program performance such as:  experience delays when making selections, saving/opening files, second screen locking-up performance of first screen, imagery seeming somewhat slow, see model space objects outside of the viewport for a few seconds before regen updates, etc..

The system I presently have is:  Windows 10, Dell Precision 7710 laptop with Intel Core i7-6820HQ CPU 2.70 GHZ, 32 GB RAM, 64 bit operating system, solid state hard drive with 1.81 TB capacity, not sure of graphics card.  I expect I need a higher processing speed such as 3.5 or 4.0 GHZ and better graphics card.  However, I am not an IT person or very knowledgeable of hardware.  Does anyone have suggestions of advanced hardware choices that I may consider? 

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
antoniovinci
in reply to: CADEngr2014

Unplug the network cable, and try again: any changes in performances..?

Message 3 of 28

One thing you didn't mention, which is the most important, is what type of video card you have.  When using a laptop, it usually has an integrated video card (Intel HD Graphics), and a dedicated video card (NVIDIA or AMD). You will need to disable the Intel graphics card so the laptop is forced to use the "certified" graphics card.

Todd Rogers
Message 4 of 28

Go to your Device Manager and look under Display Adapters. You should see 2 graphics cards there. If there is 2, then right-click on the Intel HD Graphics card and Disable.

Todd Rogers
Message 5 of 28

TRogers,

Ok, I have two display cards: Intel HD Graphics 530 and NVIDIA Quadro M3000M.  When I follow your described steppes and disable the Intel HD Graphics card, one of my screens goes out.  I have two screens in addition to the laptop screen, a total of 3 screens.  Any way to accomplish your workflow and keep all my screens?

Message 6 of 28

If you reboot, it should show back up. If it does not, go back to the NVIDIA Control Panel and make sure your card is reading the 3rd monitor.

Todd Rogers
Message 7 of 28

TRogers,

When I view "Setup Multiple Displays" under NVIDIA Control Panel, I only see one monitor under "Select the Displays you want to use" and it is already checked.  How do I get it to read the third monitor or include it in the dialog to check for use ?

Message 8 of 28

Download and install the latest NVIDIA driver from NVIDIA's website.

Todd Rogers
Message 9 of 28

TRogers,

I performed an Update thru the Control Panel->Device Manager and the reply was "Windows has determined that I have the latest driver "NVIDIA Quadro M3000M.  Could there be a specific driver I should look for to download, I instead of using the automatic update ?

Message 10 of 28
Message 11 of 28

How do I determine the current path of my NVIDIA driver?  I need to overwrite it with the new download.  When I do a search, I get many folders with NVIDIA information....

Message 12 of 28

I should upgrade it automatically.

Todd Rogers
Message 13 of 28

TRogers,

I updated the NVIDIA driver, if it does update automatically, then it is not producing any different results; still monitor number 3 remains black after turning off the Intel HD Graphics card and re-booting..

Message 14 of 28

Ok, so that means that 2 of them are using the NVIDIA and one of them was using the Intel HD Graphics. What you will need to do in that case is enable the Intel graphics again. Then you will need to right-click on your desktop, and go to the NVIDIA Control Panel. Once there, click on Manage 3D Settings. Click the Program Settings tab on the right. Make sure that Autodesk AutoCAD is listed there. If it is not, select it from the list. That way when you fire up Civil 3D, it will use the NVIDIA card.

Todd Rogers
Message 15 of 28

TRogers,

Yes, it is set to Autodesk AutoCAD already, I did not have to change that setting.

Message 16 of 28

TRogers,

It seems that the "NVIDIA Quadro 3000M" graphics card, that I am using can only support one other monitor, in addition to the laptop screen.  Would that be a bigger problem than 2.7GHZ versus 3.5 or 4.0 GHZ processor ?

Message 17 of 28

Mine is a 2.7ghz processor and I have no issues with performance. I have the NVIDIA Quadro K2100M.

Todd Rogers
Message 18 of 28

2017-01-16_14-56-05.png

Todd Rogers
Message 19 of 28
CADEngr2014
in reply to: antoniovinci

Antoniovinci,

Thanks for that thought.  Unplugging the network cable does help, but is unrealistic to operate in this fashion, as all our cad licenses and projects are stored on our server.  To test this approach, I copied all my project files with large data to my c:\ drive and then opened.  A large aerial file does perform much quicker.  Have not tested everything, but I know removing the network variable has got to improve performance.  What conclusions should I make from this test ?

Message 20 of 28

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report