Community
Civil 3D Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating my .DWT File

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
simon
536 Views, 3 Replies

Updating my .DWT File

I have a .dwt file which I update now ang again as I work through jobs and make changes/find better ways to do things but everytime I want to over-write the old one I struggle to delete out the information in the new drawing which will form the basis of the new .DWT - i.e. I have to work backwards and delete corridor surfaces, then corridors, then profiles one-by-one, then profile views one-by-one, then junctions, then alignments one-by-one.  I often find that I get this process wrong and end up with an element in the drawing that I can't then delete and have to start all over again.  There must be an easier way that I'm not aware of so all advice gratefully received please. Is there a simple "delete all civil 3d elements" command?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: simon

Hi,

>> Is there a simple "delete all civil 3d elements" command?

No, nothing like that.

And it makes sense that saving to DWT does not automatically delete all geometry objects as I might want to create a DWT that contains layouts/titleblocks/district-borders (or other borders)/connection to GIS-data/and much more. I might also create a DWT for each project, so e.g. I have some specific data like all alignments for my project area.

More interesting is that:

>> I often find that I get this process wrong and end up with an element in the drawing that I can't then delete

What elements are that? Can you select them?

It might be possible that you don't see some elements e.g. if their style settings are configured to not show anything from the object, but in that case you can:

• a) go through the prospector (if you delete a SITE, all within the site will be deleted as well, in most cases the fastest option.
  • b) use command _QSELECT to find/select them, pushing <DEL> then should delete that.

Or can you upload a drawing with something you can't delete?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 4
simon
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Alfred,  Thanks for your reply.  wing a simple 'delete' of everything, I've been left with various feature lines and/or alignments.  However, I've tried again this morning since posting this subject, and I've had much more success.  Following a delete all (except a number of standard assemblies that I use) I was left with a couple of corridors and some feature lines.  The corridors could be deleted manually but the featurelines couldn't. I've repeated the process by deleting the featurelines first, and then doing a delete all and this seesm to have worked much better thanks.

On a separate not, I have a couple of different template files (I do work for a few Clients and hence have their drawing frames set up in each one) so is it possible to now go into each of the other templates and 'copy across' my standard template settings that I have now updated.  Again, all advice gratefulyy received.

Many thanks

Message 4 of 4
Lisa_Pohlmeyer
in reply to: simon

You don't mention which version in particular you're using, but many of the recent versions have a tool that will import Styles & Settings. Why don't you open your current template and use that tool to import them from the design drawing?

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report