AutoCAD Civil 3D Customization

AutoCAD Civil 3D Customization

Distinguished Contributor
paul.m.graf
Message 11 of 20 (320 Views)

Re: Parts Builder tutorial: Outside Drop Manhole

11-02-2012 12:59 PM in reply to: SethHall

I've been doing some more digging and ran across this post:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/My-Part-Builder-Experience/td-p/3669100

THis is the same problem I am having. Another problem this post addresses is that you cannot snap to a PG geometry node using OSNAPS was the tutorial states. My workaround was to draw construction lines and snap my geometry points to these entities.

Is this a know bug in part builder?

paul.m.graf
Message 12 of 20 (305 Views)

11-06-2012 06:57 AM in reply to: SethHall

Is there anyone at AutoDesk that can confirm that complex structures built in part builder such as the drop manhole in the tutorial cannot accurately be shown as a boundary?

Paul

estaec
Message 13 of 20 (128 Views)

08-21-2014 05:58 AM in reply to: paul.m.graf

I too have gone through the tutorial to build the outside drop and am experiencing the same problems.  My part shows fine in 3D but:

1. The part does not profile correctly, no matter how I have the part rotated.  I am getting just a normal looking structure but no outside drop.

Profile-No Outside Drop.JPG

2. In 3D, it is obvious that the outside drop is not connecting to any other incoming pipes.  How can we make the top invert connect to an incoming pipe?  Also, note that the part shows the correct sump elevation in profile view but not in 3D model view.

3D View-Not Connected to Incoming Pipe.JPG

I do not understand Part Builder very well, but maybe the section views that are used for showing the part in profile view are controlled with work planes.  Later I will try to create another work plane perpendicular to the planes created in the tutorial and see if that helps it to show correctly in profile view.

Are there any more resources still available for learning to use Part Builder?  Many of the old links in forums are broken that talk about useful video lessons.

paul.m.graf
Message 14 of 20 (123 Views)

08-21-2014 06:21 AM in reply to: estaec

Hi Esteac,

Civil 3d will not show the structure as designed in part builder as a boundary nor will it be able to connect incoming pipe. I found this out after going thru the tutorial just as you have. It sure would have been nice if Autodesk told you this up front at the start of the tutorial.

PG

estaec
Message 15 of 20 (120 Views)

08-21-2014 06:27 AM in reply to: paul.m.graf

Paul,

Right, agreed. It defeats the purpose of having a structure like that if it doesn't have the functionality.

Did you ever find a workaround for showing drop inlets in profile view without simply drawing polylines?  The polylines obviously are clunky and do not move well with any changes to the pipe network.

Eric Turner

paul.m.graf
Message 16 of 20 (117 Views)

08-21-2014 06:59 AM in reply to: estaec

Eric,

I have created a label style that uses a block that is inserted at sump elevation to show an outside drop. It's not the best solution because the outside drop pipe block will not match to the incoming pipe becuase the slope of the incoming pipe can vary. (I hope that made sense?)  See screen shot below & attached drawing (v. 2012). Maybe you can work with this and find a better solution?

outside drop manhole.PNG

Paul

estaec
Message 17 of 20 (114 Views)

08-21-2014 07:19 AM in reply to: paul.m.graf

Paul,

First off, this is a very genius workaround.  Well done.  

Looking at the file a bit, is the block FW_DROP something that you create for every outside drop you have?  I ask because the drop does not appear to update to the new pipe location when the incoming pipe invert is changed.  I believe this is what you were referring to in your previous post.  I will tinker with it some during the rest of the week and see what we can come up with.

Thanks!

Eric

paul.m.graf
Message 18 of 20 (112 Views)

08-21-2014 07:28 AM in reply to: estaec
Eric,
Thanks...You are correct in the fact you might have to have a block or label style for every outside drop manhole. Too bad you can't use dynamic blocks within labels. Good luck, I would love to see what you come up with.
Paul
*Expert Elite*
Civil3DReminders.com
Message 19 of 20 (100 Views)

08-21-2014 11:21 PM in reply to: paul.m.graf

There doesn't appear to be any connection in the expression properties where you can get the information of the pipe from the structure or the structure info from a pipe. If there was you could create an expression to adjust the height of the vertical lines. There is a work around where you could create a property for the structure and then use the property in an expression to control the vertical lines. While not dynamic it would make it easier then having a bunch of styles.

Well that sucks, just checked and you don't seem to be able to get the custom property to be shown in an expression, although you can use it in a label. So the above won't work. Although if you don't have to use the Hydraulic or Energy Grade Line you could use it instead to provide the control the height of the vertical lines.

Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Bill_Myron
Message 20 of 20 (63 Views)

09-15-2014 08:49 AM in reply to: Civil3DReminders.com

For custom dimensional properties, I use "Structure Riser Height". You can add unlimited number of these and rename them to your liking.

The good thing about this is the property is coded into Civil 3D. So you dont have to mess around with the XML files. I find it does not screw up as much. Also you dont have to remember that your Energy Grade Line property is actually the drop distance.

If you are building your own parts and you need alot of differnt dimensions you need to keep track of things. You can change the description, but not the attribute code; it will always be SRZ1, SRZ2. 

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.