Community
Civil 3D Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate Utility for customized settings for C3D 2013 to 2015???

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
johnthoreson
398 Views, 4 Replies

Migrate Utility for customized settings for C3D 2013 to 2015???

I just loaded and activated 2015 from a DVD and am trying to migrate my customized settings (workspaces, etc.) from 2013 to 2015.  

I found this article:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-...

which contains:

"The utility for migrating settings in AutoCAD is located under Start > All Programs > Autodesk > AutoCAD 20xx > Migrate Custom Settings > Migrate From a Previous Release. This will transfer settings from an older version to the version you chose to run the migration for. You may choose which older version of AutoCAD to bring forward its settings. Please note that some versions of AutoCAD do not support migrating settings and will not have the 'Migrate From a Previous Release' menu item." (bold mine)

I don't see the Migrate Custom Settings available (see screenshot below) and wanted to check if this is an instance where AutoCAD does not support migrating settings or if something went sideways in my installation.  Going from 2013 to 2015 doesn't seem like that big of jump.  

I can transfer a saved cui file, but I'm hoping there's something more thorough.  The cui file doesn't seem to capture the myriad of settings that can be tweaked.

Thanks for your help and ideas on other ways to approach this issue!

Autodesk Menu.GIF

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Jeff_M
in reply to: johnthoreson

The Migrate Settings, from what I recall as I have never used that tool myself, caused all sorts of issues with Civil3D. It does not surprise me that it is finally not even offered.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 5
johnthoreson
in reply to: Jeff_M

How do you typically transfer your customized settings?   Just transfer your cuix file and then manually adjust whatever is left over as you go along?  I'm curious how the pros do it.

Message 4 of 5
Jeff_M
in reply to: johnthoreson

I have a custom CUI that I do a partial load with. This makes it easy to go from release to release, as all i need do is add the Path to the custom cui then do the partial menuload. Any small tweaks to the main C3D or Autocad CUI's, I just go in and make the edits with each release (but I keep those to a minimum, mostly fixing things that have been broke/not-quite-right-since-day-one). It usually takes less than 15 minutes to be back up and running.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 5
johnthoreson
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks, Jeff.  That sounds like a good approach.  I'm actually pretty close to doing it that way - once I tighten up my notes on what to update, I can probably get to that 15 minute mark for getting back up to speed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report