Community
Civil 3D Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get sample line areas by material

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
LS67
957 Views, 3 Replies

How to get sample line areas by material

I am using C3D 2014.

How can i get the areas for sample lines by material list/materials?

I have read the API guide but it mentions nothing.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
LS67
in reply to: LS67

Finally i get the MaterialSection object for the desired Sample Line and the guids for the desired  MaterialList and MaterialList item.
But although area is not zero the MaterialSection.Area property is always zero!
I get the materialSection.SectionPoints which define the area and i get the expected values which ofcourse do not produce a zero value.
So i do the area calculations myshelf.
I guess Autodesk should check this. It seems to me like a function that someone forgot to export the result.

Message 3 of 4
ceduca

Hi,

can you show how do you did it? a snippet would be great.
I'm having the same problem and I can't find a solution.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 4
LS67

Lots of years have passed...

I had no email message about this request.

In case someone has the same problem...

I am far from being proud about this coding. But at least it shows how to get the points. I no longer use Structures and ArrayLists. I needed a solution on the fly and i was based on some very old coding of mine.

The TKV and Civil3D objects are custom objects of mine, ignore them.

Area calculation is not that easy i though it would be. There might be multiple areas and the code must detect them so it does. Most probably the area calculation has more value than the Civil 3D material points extraction itself.

For the selected SampleLineGroup, for each sample line, for each material of each material list it gets their points calculates the areas and export them to a text file using the appropriate headers to distinguish.

Dim SelectedSLG As ACDBS.SampleLineGroup

Private Sub btnKMS_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnKMS.Click

Try

'used for transaction to get each SL object
            Dim MDIactiveDoc As Autodesk.AutoCAD.ApplicationServices.Document = Autodesk.AutoCAD.ApplicationServices.Application.DocumentManager.MdiActiveDocument

Dim DirectorySelection As String = TKVCL.TKV_SelectPathFile.SelectOnlyDirectory(, True)
            If DirectorySelection = String.Empty Then Exit Sub

' ...for the current SampleLineGroup
            Dim LofSLobjects As List(Of Autodesk.Civil.DatabaseServices.SampleLine) = Civil3D.NET.SLGs.SLs(Me.SelectedSLG)

If LofSLobjects Is Nothing Then
                MsgBox("Operation failed", MsgBoxStyle.Critical)
                Exit Sub
            End If

Dim FileName As String = DirectorySelection + "\" + Me.SelectedAlignmentName + "." + Me.SelectedSLG.Name + ".txt"

Using OutputFile As New System.IO.StreamWriter(FileName)

'...write headers
                For Each MaterialList As Autodesk.Civil.DatabaseServices.QTOMaterialList In Me.SelectedSLG.MaterialLists
                    For Each Material As Autodesk.Civil.DatabaseServices.QTOMaterial In MaterialList
                        Dim MaterialSectionID As Autodesk.AutoCAD.DatabaseServices.ObjectId = LofSLobjects.Item(0).GetMaterialSectionId(MaterialList.Guid, Material.Guid)
                        Dim MaterialSectionObject As Autodesk.Civil.DatabaseServices.MaterialSection
                        Try
                            Using TRNSCTN As Autodesk.AutoCAD.DatabaseServices.Transaction = MDIactiveDoc.Database.TransactionManager.StartTransaction
                                MaterialSectionObject = CType(TRNSCTN.GetObject(MaterialSectionID, Autodesk.AutoCAD.DatabaseServices.OpenMode.ForRead), Autodesk.Civil.DatabaseServices.MaterialSection)
                            End Using
                            OutputFile.Write(vbTab + MaterialList.Name + "." + Material.Name)
                        Catch ex As Exception
                            MsgBox("While exporting names..." + ex.Message, MsgBoxStyle.Critical, "Error")
                        End Try
                    Next
                Next
                OutputFile.WriteLine()

' ...for each sample line
                For Each SLobject As Autodesk.Civil.DatabaseServices.SampleLine In LofSLobjects

OutputFile.Write(SLobject.Station.ToString("0.000"))

' run through each QTOmaterialList for the current SLG
                    For Each MaterialList As Autodesk.Civil.DatabaseServices.QTOMaterialList In Me.SelectedSLG.MaterialLists

'run through each QTOmaterial for the current QTOmaterialList
                        For Each Material As Autodesk.Civil.DatabaseServices.QTOMaterial In MaterialList

Dim MaterialSectionID As Autodesk.AutoCAD.DatabaseServices.ObjectId = SLobject.GetMaterialSectionId(MaterialList.Guid, Material.Guid)
                            Dim MaterialSectionObject As Autodesk.Civil.DatabaseServices.MaterialSection
                            Try
                                Using TRNSCTN As Autodesk.AutoCAD.DatabaseServices.Transaction = MDIactiveDoc.Database.TransactionManager.StartTransaction
                                    MaterialSectionObject = CType(TRNSCTN.GetObject(MaterialSectionID, Autodesk.AutoCAD.DatabaseServices.OpenMode.ForRead), Autodesk.Civil.DatabaseServices.MaterialSection)
                                End Using
                                'MsgBox("Station=" + SLobject.Station.ToString("0+000.00") + CalculateArea(MaterialSectionObject.SectionPoints).ToString(" area is=0.000") + MaterialSectionObject.Area.ToString(" C3D area is 0.00"))
                                OutputFile.Write(vbTab + CalculateArea(MaterialSectionObject.SectionPoints).ToString("0.000"))
                            Catch ex As Exception
                                MsgBox("While exporting areas..." + ex.Message, MsgBoxStyle.Critical, "Error")
                            End Try
                        Next 'QTOmaterial
                    Next 'QTOmaterialList
                    OutputFile.WriteLine()
                Next 'SampleLine

End Using

Catch ex As Exception
            MsgBox("Failed to export values" + vbNewLine + Err.Description, MsgBoxStyle.Information)
        End Try

End Sub

Public Module TKV_StructuresOfDoubles

Public Structure TwoDoubles 'eg Station and Offset or Station and LeftSlope or RightSlope
        Dim DoubleValue1 As Double
        Dim DoubleValue2 As Double
    End Structure

'includes search for multiple closed areas!!!
    Public Function ListOfTwoDoublesArea(ByVal AoTD As ArrayList, Optional ByVal WarnForNonClosedAreas As Boolean = True, Optional ByVal SearchForMultipleAreas As Boolean = True) As Double

Try

ListOfTwoDoublesArea = 0 'return value-contains final area-may be the sum of all areas if SearchForMultipleAreas is set to default value TRUE

Dim AreaRunning As Double  'holds area while calculating
            Dim StartPoint As New TKV_StructuresOfDoubles.TwoDoubles 'contains start point to check for possible sub area closing
            Dim ListOfAreas As New List(Of Double) 'contains sub areas
            Dim StartNewArea As Boolean = True

Dim i As Integer = 0, P1 As TwoDoubles, P2 As TwoDoubles

For i = 0 To AoTD.Count - 2
                If StartNewArea Then
                    StartNewArea = False
                    StartPoint = CType(AoTD(i), TwoDoubles)
                    AreaRunning = 0
                End If
                P1 = CType(AoTD(i), TwoDoubles) : P2 = CType(AoTD(i + 1), TwoDoubles)
                AreaRunning += (P1.DoubleValue1 - P2.DoubleValue1) * ((P1.DoubleValue2 + P2.DoubleValue2) / 2)

If TKV_StructuresOfDoubles.IsEqual(StartPoint, P2) Then
                    ListOfAreas.Add(AreaRunning)
                    StartNewArea = True
                    i += 1
                End If

Next

'if list of points reached the end but current area startpoint is not equal to current end point then inform user if optional warn value is left to optional TRUE
            If StartNewArea = False Then
                If WarnForNonClosedAreas Then MsgBox("Open area detected !" + vbNewLine + "Start point coordinates" + vbNewLine + "X=" + StartPoint.DoubleValue1.ToString("0.000") + vbNewLine + "Y=" + StartPoint.DoubleValue2.ToString("0.000"))
            End If

'sum all sub areas
            For Each x As Double In ListOfAreas
                ListOfTwoDoublesArea += x
            Next

Return Math.Abs(ListOfTwoDoublesArea)

Catch ex As Exception

Return Double.NaN

End Try

End Function

Public Function IsEqual(ByVal A As TwoDoubles, ByVal B As TwoDoubles,
                                      Optional ByVal UseValue1tolerance As Boolean = False, Optional ByVal UseValue2tolerance As Boolean = False,
                                      Optional ByVal Value1tolerance As Double = 0.0001, Optional ByVal Value2tolerance As Double = 0.0001,
                                      Optional ByVal ShowErrorMessage As Boolean = True) As Boolean
        Try
            Dim EqualityOfValue1 As Boolean = False
            If UseValue1tolerance Then
                If Math.Abs(A.DoubleValue1 - B.DoubleValue1) <= Value1tolerance Then EqualityOfValue1 = True Else EqualityOfValue1 = False
            Else
                If A.DoubleValue1 = B.DoubleValue1 Then EqualityOfValue1 = True Else EqualityOfValue1 = False
            End If
            Dim EqualityOfValue2 As Boolean = False
            If UseValue2tolerance Then
                If Math.Abs(A.DoubleValue2 - B.DoubleValue2) <= Value1tolerance Then EqualityOfValue2 = True Else EqualityOfValue2 = False
            Else
                If A.DoubleValue2 = B.DoubleValue2 Then EqualityOfValue2 = True Else EqualityOfValue2 = False
            End If
            If EqualityOfValue1 And EqualityOfValue2 Then Return True Else Return False
        Catch ex As Exception
            If ShowErrorMessage Then MsgBox("Failed to compare TwoDoubles. Development error.", CType(MsgBoxStyle.Critical + MsgBoxStyle.ApplicationModal, MsgBoxStyle))
            Return False
        End Try
    End Function

End Module

Public Function SLs(ByVal SLG As Autodesk.Civil.DatabaseServices.SampleLineGroup) As List(Of Autodesk.Civil.DatabaseServices.SampleLine)

Try

'get ID for each sample line for the entered SLG
                    Dim LofSLids As Autodesk.AutoCAD.DatabaseServices.ObjectIdCollection = SLG.GetSampleLineIds

'used for transaction to get each SL object
                    Dim MDIactiveDoc As Autodesk.AutoCAD.ApplicationServices.Document = Autodesk.AutoCAD.ApplicationServices.Application.DocumentManager.MdiActiveDocument

Dim LofSLobjects As New List(Of Autodesk.Civil.DatabaseServices.SampleLine)
                    For Each SLid As Autodesk.AutoCAD.DatabaseServices.ObjectId In LofSLids
                        Try
                                Dim SLobject As Autodesk.Civil.DatabaseServices.SampleLine = CType(TRNSCTN.GetObject(SLid, Autodesk.AutoCAD.DatabaseServices.OpenMode.ForRead), Autodesk.Civil.DatabaseServices.SampleLine)
                                LofSLobjects.Add(SLobject)
                            End Using
                        Catch ex As Exception
                            MsgBox(ex.Message, MsgBoxStyle.Critical, "Error")
                        End Try
                    Next
                    Return LofSLobjects

Catch ex As Exception
                    MsgBox("Failed to get SL objects " + Err.Description, MsgBoxStyle.Information)
                    Return Nothing
                End Try

End Function

End Module

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report