Community
Civil 3D Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dview Twist

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
tomg
1856 Views, 4 Replies

Dview Twist

C3D 2013 Win 7-64 bit

I have written a C# routine that inserts a block with some elevation data. It essentially mimics a VBA project written for LDT 2004. In LDT, the user would rotate the dwg using North Rotation. In C3D 2012 they now use Dviw twist. When the user selects a cogo point on screen the block appears to get placed at the position prior to the dview twist.

I'm not a cad user. Is there something they need to do after dview twist that will allow the block to insert at the correct place? Or, is there something I can do in code to get proper placement?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Civil3DReminders_com
in reply to: tomg

You will want to make sure the UCS is set to world and if it's not then rotate and move the object in relation to the UCS that is current. If you haven't found out how to do it so far, a search of the internet should point you in the correct location. I'm pretty sure Through the Interface blog has some examples. 

Christopher

Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 3 of 5
tomg
in reply to: Civil3DReminders_com

Chris,

Thanks for responding. It seems this is not a trivial task. After talking to the surveyors, they have decided to not go to "plan view". Then, when they are in a project that requires my routine and they see the UCS rotated, they know they have to twist back to 0 degress which is where they began.

Tom

Message 4 of 5
Hammer.john.j

First, I would abandon north rotation and dview twist.  North rotation is probably the most dangerous action ever applied to Cad.

To accomplish your objective, i would use the world coordinate system and assign a rotation to the block being inserted to match the rotation of the views.  Proper procedure is to create a user coordinate system (UCS) that has the x axis aligned with the X direction of your sheet, then the world coordinate system (WCS) is left untouched and you can always go back to it.  Do not rotate drawing objects about the WCS, that screws everything up.... Leave everything in the appropriate place in the world coordinate system rotated as it exists in the real world based on the state plane system.... whatever one your using.

It isn't trivial at all and that is completely true.  North rotation is super dangerous and undetectable in civil 3d, unlike ldt which showed you the north rotation.

Be very careful with this.

John Hammer, LA/CADD Manager
Message 5 of 5
gccdaemon

Throw dview twist out the window. You need to go old school. Use the PLAN command, and it should be smoother. Also, you might want to make sure UCSFOLLOW variable is set to zero.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report