Community
Civil 3D Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dummy's guide to Visual Basic Express 2010 and Civil 3D

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
2243 Views, 4 Replies

Dummy's guide to Visual Basic Express 2010 and Civil 3D

I fist starting coding in AutoCAD using LISP, gave that up when it was painful writing UI in DCL, then moved to VBA, now I am on the move to dot net, only because I have to.

I am a weekend coded so to speak; love coding, but only code when motivated with a need.

As I embarked on my journey to code in dot net, I ran into a few issues.

Although I have Visual studio 5, I wanted to use VB Express 2010, after all it’s free.

I am posting this starters guide for anyone else that may want to get across this river using VBE 2010 and civil 3D. (note, the document is compiled from various sources, I cannot take credit for it all)

What I am hoping is that this post evolves into a thread of How to, rather than questions.

Example each new thread could have the subject How to write C3D data to excel, How to create an aliment style, How to add a break line, all in dot net using VBE.

How to create a subassembly , now this is a completely different ball game and is best having its own post, if someone is so inclined to start a Dummy’s guide to subassemblies

Anyway I am hoping we can create a chain in helping each get other cross this river.

This may gain traction and turn into a sticky, or better yet get it’s own page under the customization, but then again, it may just get shot down, crash and burn.

I will leave it in your hands; I will lay down the first stepping stone

Happy coding.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ralstogj
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi

Not a bad idea if you post the document as a word.doc instead of pdf maybe others can update it and repost it and notify others of what has been changed.

To make the debug process faster you can add a path to a script file to autoload the .dll see attached.

One thing people needed to be aware of is that problably more than half the Civil3d objects still have to be accessed thru .com from the 

vb.net express IDE so the programming is pretty much as per VBA. Once you get your head around the creation of a project and the building and debugging in vb.net express.

Regards

Justin Ralston

Regards

Justin Ralston
http://c3dxtreme.blogspot.com/
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: ralstogj

Good Idea Justin

Just did not want to assume everyone has or is using MS word.

Too bad I cannot remove my original attachment and replace. I no longer see the edit option on the post, anyway here it is the update.

I am mostly hoping that people will post their snipit of codes as, How to.

all the same thanks for the information on scripting, I will try it out.

and yes I will try to get my head around the  creation of a project and the building and debugging in vb.net express.

thanks again, and great tip on the script.

Cheers

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

I found this post informative since I am in the same transition process, lisp to Vb.net.  I am currently using VBE 2008 and C3D 2010.  I encountered an error in the transition from Section 1.6 to 1.8.  Could either of you provide me with your email address to ask maybe where I went wrong.  Justin, thanks again, you have help me before providing good info to a post.

Message 5 of 5
ralstogj

my email is justinr at aireys dot co dot nz

Regards

Justin Ralston

Regards

Justin Ralston
http://c3dxtreme.blogspot.com/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report