Community
Civil 3D Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2008 Data Shortcuts imported into 2013

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
langrobbins4254
295 Views, 5 Replies

2008 Data Shortcuts imported into 2013

We are in the middle of upgrading from C3D 2008 to C3D 2013 and are having problems with the data shortcuts. It appears that in 2013 you have to specify a data shortcut project folder and within that folder would be folders for individual projects, I think as best I can tell from the help file. In 2008, we just put the data shortcuts within each speciffic project folder...... now that we have started working on projects that were setup in 2008, I am not seeing how in the heck we can access or create references to those existing shortcuts. I know we have skipped 5 versions of acad, but I would hope there would be a way to import or access existing project data.

Lang

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

hi Lang,

So are you migrating a API project? If so, please clarify which API you are using... if not, I'll transfer to other forum.

Regards,

Augusto Goncalves
Twitter @augustomaia
Autodesk Developer Network
Message 3 of 6

I am not sure what API is? This is our situation: we started a 150± lot subdivision in c3d 2008 using data shortcuts, we created data shortcuts for alignments, pipe networks, exisitng and proposed surfaces (used corridor models for the proposed), we have about 6 different drawings that either have the data objects in them or that are referencing the data. We were planning on  upgrading to 2013 or 2014 in the next 4 or 5 months... For whatever reason, the project became impossible to work in, it paused 2 to 3 minutes after each command, text edits, plane drafting, editing the c3d objects, reloading xref's and synchronizong data short cuts started to take 10 minutes or more sometimes. At first we thought it was a computer or server issue, we had one workstation that had 2013 installed on it and I started running some test, opening the project and doing some of the same things that took for ever in 2008 and low and behold... it was normal, everything worked the way it was supposed to. So, we figure we overstepped our boundaries with the data shortcuts in 2008, figured it must have been the way 2008 handled and processed the data and there for we thought it would be safe to up grade.... WRONG! We are now in the middle of addressing city comments on the project and have to shift a road, add a road, put in a stub street or 2, add some data references to drawings and a lot of other minor details. Well, for starters, all the c3d pipes that were referenced into our profile drawings are gone, the existing grade profile that was created based on alignments and an existing surface is gone, there are broken references for alignments, we cannot re reference things that are missing, and the list goes on. So.... now we are PROMOTING data shortcuts, exploding some c3d objects, drawing dumb lines where there once were smart objects, grading roads by calculator and scale and doing whatever else we have to in order to re-submit the project. I am sure to some extent this is user error and making such a big jump from 2008 to 2013, but a lot of this I think is just not being able to seemlessy upgrade from 2008 to 2013! This just plain and simply SUCKS! Very expensive software that cant seem to go foward, if it were the other way... 2013 to 2008, I would understand

Message 4 of 6

So this is a API/Customization forum, focused on programing questions.

Regards,

Augusto Goncalves
Twitter @augustomaia
Message 5 of 6

Does that mean this is in the wrong forum?

Message 6 of 6

Yes, and I have asked the moderator to transfer your question.

Regards,

Augusto Goncalves
Twitter @augustomaia

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report