AutoCAD Architecture Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Customization Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Residential Opening Tags

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jcawthorn
705 Views, 5 Replies

Residential Opening Tags

I need an opening (doors and windows) tag style that shows the opening dimensions as numbers only. So for instance, the tag for a 2'-8" x 6'-8" door would be 2868.

The tag needs to automatically update when the opening size is changed. So for instance, if I change the door size from 2'-8" x 6'-8" to 3'-0" x 8'-0" the tag needs to automatically change from 2868 to 3080. I do not want this tag to simply call out a door style. I want it to dynamically change when the width and height are edited.

The tag should be aligned with the door opening, not the door swing.

What would be even better is a window style and a door style with the tag included in each so that I do not have to layout then annotate. So it is one step. The ability to turn off the tag and/or the ability to text override the tag would also be a plus.

I am just now switching from a program called SoftPlan that does all of this out of the box, so I would like to stick with the same level of efficiency for residential design.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Keith.Brown
in reply to: jcawthorn

You will need the [Width] and the [Height] property set definitions to create the property set definition that you want.  Inside of the DoorObjects property set create a new formula based property set definition and call it Size

Then paste the following formula into the formula box.  Replace [Width] and [Height] by selecting them from the Insert Property Definitions box below.  They will be under DoorObjects.

WidthArray = Split("[Width]", "-", -1, 1)
HeightArray = Split("[Height]", "-", -1, 1)

Width1 = Replace(WidthArray(0), "'", "")
Width2 = Mid(WidthArray(1), 1, Len(WidthArray(1))-1 )

Height1 = Replace(HeightArray(0), "'", "")
Height2 = Mid(HeightArray(1), 1, Len(HeightArray(1))-1 )

RESULT = Width1 & Width2 & Height1 & Height2

The first two lines of the formula strips the hypen from the Width and Height and places the results into an array.

The second two lines of the formula takes the WidthArray and removes the foot and inches symbols

The third two lines of the formula takes the HeightArray and removes the foot and inches symbols

Since the inch symbol causes some problems with strings I needed to replace it different than with the foot symbol.  To do this I used the MID function to return all but the last charactor of the string.

The last line rebuilds the results into a single entity.

Some things to note.  You should set your units in the property data format used by this property set definition to round to the nearest inch and to always display 0 when needed.  Otherwise I think this will handle all situations as long as the input is in the following format      XX'-YY" x XX'-YY"

Drawing included with Sample.  I am an MEP Engineer so i used autocad mep with an autocad mep template but the doorobjects property set is included in the property sets along with a door with the psd attached.  2013 format.

Message 3 of 6
David_W_Koch
in reply to: jcawthorn

In addition to Keith Brown's samples, you may find these examples of interest.  They were originally posted some time back (when ADT 2004 was current), and the original attachments got lost in the shuffle during a reformatting of the Discussion Groups.  The links below go directly to a post in the thread where I had reposted the attachments.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Architecture-Content/Simple-Door-Tags-ADT2004/m-p/477041#M801

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Architecture-Content/Simple-Door-Tags-ADT2004/m-p/477042#M802

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 4 of 6
Keith.Brown
in reply to: David_W_Koch

I like your version better David,  I didnt realize there was an unformatted height and width.  I am doing some manipulations of the height and width in a string format while you are working with the raw data.  That is a much cleaner solution.

Message 5 of 6
ted.evans
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Neither of these links seem to be working. can you repost the links?
Thanks
Message 6 of 6
David_W_Koch
in reply to: ted.evans

@ted.evans wrote:
Neither of these links seem to be working. can you repost the links?
Thanks

The old Content Discussion Group was discontinued some time back.  I had reposted the files to this thread in the 2007 and prior group.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost