AutoCAD Architecture Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Customization Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting Layer key and then reimporting it

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jorgeseptien
1251 Views, 4 Replies

Exporting Layer key and then reimporting it

I have been having a hell of a time trying to figure this out.  I have a drawing opened that has the perfect layer key that I created for our firm.  It is called CCH-AIA.  I want to be able to transfer it from this one drawing to another and have it set as the default (or current) layer key.  I keep using the command AecLayerSaveStdAsText in the following context:

(AecLayerSaveStdAsText "CCH-AIA" "C:\\CCH-AIA.TXT") but I do not get a text file.  I am sure that I am doing something wrong.

Please help.  If there is another command that I must use, please advise.  Also, I have checked that this command "AecLayerSaveStdAsText" is loaded by typing "ARX" at the command line and typing "C" and the "*" to list all the commands.

Is my syntax wrong?  Please help.

Jorge Septien
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: jorgeseptien

That command exports Layer Standards, not Layer Key Styles.

Use Style Manager to copy a Layer Key Style from one drawing to another.

Better still, set up a source file with your perfect Layer Key Style in a location accessible to all who need it, and then have everyone open up the Drawing Setup dialog and, on the Layering tab, set that source file as the Layer Standards/Key File to Autp-Import at the top.  Then set your perfect Layer Key Style as the Layer Key Style in the Default Layer Standard area.  You may also want to check the "Always import Layer Key Style when first used in drawing" just in case you come up with an even more perfect version of the Layer Key Style in the future.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 5
jorgeseptien
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thank you so much David.  You always save me hours of time.  Each time I read a post and I know you answered, I know that it is the solution to the problem.

Jorge Septien

Jorge Septien
Message 4 of 5
ntellery
in reply to: jorgeseptien

I found my reference file needed to be on the local drive as it couldn't find the networked version.

I assumed it was timing out and don't know how to adjust this so I just copied it to the local drive.

Not hard with only 2 users.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 5 of 5
Jeffrey_H
in reply to: ntellery

Create a dwg for storing layerkey style

Just type UN and press enter or use units command

Select the layering tab

Select the file and which layerkey style from the drawing

And make sure to check the Always import Layer Key so if you update your LayerKey style drawing it will update it if the layerkey is already in the drawing

And check at the bottom save as default it will bring the layer key style in all new drawings not created and created from templates

You can also find your answers @ TheSwamp

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost