AutoCAD Architecture Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Customization Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOOR TAGS W/ ROOM NUMBERS AND SUFFIX?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Revit-Gary
3060 Views, 3 Replies

DOOR TAGS W/ ROOM NUMBERS AND SUFFIX?

I am new to autocad 2011. We are trying to implement new features in the office.

We want to create a custom door tag that automatically numbers the door the same as the room number.

Also if a second door is placed in the room they will be numbered 101, 101A, 101B ETC

I have been fooling around with it quite a bit with no success. In th object properties it says the room number is the door number. That is not what is displaying in the tag or the schedule. I have also created a tag that I can type in a suffix of A,B, etc. but have no idea how to make that automatic.

Any ideas?

iI new to this board so thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
David_W_Koch
in reply to: Revit-Gary

In a object-based Property Set Definition that applies to Doors, add a Location property that is set up to read the room number property of the Space over which the Door's Location grip is placed.  Create a text-type manual property in that same Property Set Definition to hold the value for the suffix.  Sorry, but I do not know of a way to automatically get the suffix to be a null string if there is only one Door to a Space, and then become "A" for the first Door and "B" for the second Door when the second Door is added, and "C", "D", etc for each additional door (and have the values reset for each Space).  Add a formula property to concatenate the room number and suffix, and use that in your tags and schedules.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 4
courtmyers
in reply to: Revit-Gary

Forgive me David for bringing this thread backk to life but how can you have a formula add the room number and suffix together?  I've tried but it always throws errors.  What woudl the formula look like?

Thanks 

Court

Message 4 of 4
David_W_Koch
in reply to: courtmyers

The out-of-the-box properties tend to use implied concatenation, where the formula is all on one line and looks something like this:

[PropertyA][PropertyB]

I prefer to do my concatentation explicitly.  I find things sort more predictably and have fewer issues that way.

RESULT = "[PropertyA]" & "[PropertyB]"

[PropertyA] and [PropertyB] are presumed to be correctly created references (selected from the lower left pane, not simply typed into the upper left pane) to the properties whose value you want to concatenate.  It also presumes that the values do not have any embedded double quotation marks, such as might be found in an imperial units linear dimension expressed in feet and inches.

This blog article has an example formula where the goal was to allow for a prefix or a suffix or both or neither, and may be of interest.

http://architects-desktop.blogspot.com/2008/12/non-project-door-tag-using-room-number.html

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost