AutoCAD Architecture Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Customization Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create component for a door

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
lukearh
600 Views, 3 Replies

Create component for a door

Hello,
First of all I read similar posts but did not answer my problem.
I want to make a door style that displays in plan view an anti panic bar.
I managed to make it display for a certain dimension door, but the issue is that I want it to scale accordingly to the door size and door swing angle. Also I want for double leaf doors.
I attache a file with the case.
Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
David_W_Koch
in reply to: lukearh

The attached file gets close.  It all depends on how precise you need your custom blocks to be.  If you have multiple door widths, and need each to be completely precise (if, perhaps, you were creating custom display blocks (3D) for the Model Display Representation with the goal of creating realistic renderings where the precise size of the panic hardware was important), you will need separate custom blocks for each door size, modeled full size, with no scaling applied.  But if your need is for a plan-only symbol to indicate doors that have panic hardware, and can live with some slight variation among different door sizes, then creating a "unit block" and scaling it to the door width will allow a single block to be used with multiple door widths, as in the attached file.

I took the graphics you had in your sample file and scaled it for a width of 1.  The only choice for custom blocks is to be part of the frame component, so the block graphics will not rotate with the door panel.  That means you would need a separate block (and separate door style) for each door swing angle you want to have.  The scaling is based on the inside of the frame dimension.  To get the scaling of the width to apply properly, there are two points on the Defpoints layer in each display block, one at the insertion point (door panel hinge point) and one at the inside corner of the opposite frame for a "unit door", so one unit away for the single doors and two units away for the equal pair doors.

The door pair has two separate blocks, one for each door leaf, inserted at the hinge point for each leaf.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 4
lukearh
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thank you very much.
Indeed I only need the plan to display that some doors have panic hardware.
I had a feeling that I got close but I just couldn't put the finger on what I was not doing right. Beside solving my issue, I also learned new things in ACA.

Returning to my original problem, I wonder if I could somehow modify the display drawing for the leaf (add panic hardware). That way the swing angle issue would work with only 1 door style.

Message 4 of 4
David_W_Koch
in reply to: lukearh

I have not tried this myself, but you may be able to make a copy of one of the Model Display Representations for Doors.  These have the option to add a custom block to the Leaf component of a Door.  If that has an adverse effect on the display of other components (it may not), you could turn off all of the standard components in your copied Display Representation and use that just for the display block component(s), and have both the copy and one of the Plan Display Representatons turned on.

If I have some time, I may look into this.  It may not be in the very near future, however.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost