AutoCAD Architecture Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Customization Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Architecture 2014 - Automatically Assign Space Style

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Francis.Scarpinato
1066 Views, 8 Replies

AutoCAD Architecture 2014 - Automatically Assign Space Style

I am trying to assign space styles automatically based on an attribute in a Multi-View Block Reference.  Why?  I am receiving drawings with objects (Walls, doors, spaces for rooms, multi-view block references, etc.).  The space has a description field along with several other fields.  Once I open the drawing in ACA 2014, I add a set of predefined space styles that correspond to the room descriptions (ex. Office to Office, Hallway to Hallway, etc.).  My problem is getting the space style that corresponds to the room description assigned to the space.  There are ways to calculate other fields based on fields, but I cannot see how to change the space style based on a field.  It can be done manually, but that came become time consuming and can lead to errors.  The end result is using the automatic calculation standards to define the different area types for the floor plane so the space styles are required for each room.

Any advice, whether it is built in functionality or possible customization would be appreciated.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

There is no "built-in" function to do so. As far as I know there are no published "add-in" functions that would do so either. But what you are asking is relatively simple (assuming that you need to do it often enough to be worth spending the time to develop such a function and you have the ability).
The process for such a function would be:
Isolate the spaces and tags;
Select all the spaces;
for each space create a selection set (using the points of the space to define the selection perimeter);
If a tag is found aquire the appropriate attribute value; (if not flag it for manual followup.);
if there is a space style that matches the attribute value then assign it to that space; (if not flag it for manual followup);
Pause for manual assignment of current space (if required);
continue the loop until you have parsed the spaces...
restore your original view settings

Sit back and breathe a sigh of relief at a job well done.
Gary J. Orr
(Your Friendly Neighborhood) CADD/BIM/VDC Applications Manager
http://www.linkedin.com/in/garyorr

aka (current and past user names):
Gary_J_Orr (GOMO Stuff 2008-Present); OrrG (Forum Studio 2005-2008); Gary J. Orr (LHB Inc 2002-2005); Orr, Gary J. (Gossen Livingston 1997-2002)
Message 3 of 9

"assuming that you need to do it often enough to be worth spending the time to develop such a function and you have the ability"

We will definitely be doing it often enough.  The ability part is the question.  I've been doing a bit with lisp, but no .net.  Anyone have any idea if the Space Styles can be accessed with lisp?

Thanks for the suggestion Gary.

Message 4 of 9

Yes, they can... I haven't worked with lisp in quite some time but I used to rename styles using the cross-over "VLA" and "VLAX" functions to access the VBA (activeX) properties and methods (which in turn led me down the road to programming with VBA, which in turn led me down the road to programming using Visual Studio with .net 😉

Send me an abbreviated file and I'll try to take a look at putting something together for you perhaps...
Gary J. Orr

Gary_J_Orr (GOMO Stuff 2008-Present); OrrG (Forum Studio 2005-2008); Gary J. Orr (LHB Inc 2002-2005); Orr, Gary J. (Gossen Livingston 1997-2002)
Message 5 of 9

Gary_J_Orr,

Here is an example of what I have going on. I thought it might be better to start using .net for these tasks as it is getting more and more difficult to find lisp documentation for them. I'll look into what you mentioned though. Thanks again for your help.

Francis Scarpinato
Francis.Scarpinato@rksolutions.com

R&K Solutions, Inc.
2797 Frontage Rd. NW STE 1000
Roanoke, VA 24017
Phone: (540) 343-7300 x 136
[Description: EmailSignatureIcon]
Find out more about us at www.rksolutions.com
Message 6 of 9

your post didn't include any attachments... feel free to contact me directly if you would like... I'm currently out of work and sitting here going stir crazy anyway so... I might be able to play around with it for a bit.
Gary J. Orr

Message 7 of 9

I tried just replying to the Community Mailer and attaching it via email, but I guess that didn't work.  I got a lead on your suggestion though.

Thanks again.

Message 8 of 9

I threw this together this afternoon... it's kinda dirty, mixes up all kinds of methods, and doesn't have much error checking but, well, it's something to start with.

BTW, it creates a new layer for those spaces that it can't assign so you can isolate them for individual resolution.

Gary J. Orr

Message 9 of 9

Gary_J_Orr,

It worked perfectly.  Thank you for putting time into this and helping me out. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost