AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xref error when placing on sheet

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
simonlee
587 Views, 4 Replies

xref error when placing on sheet

I seem to be having some problems placing xrefs onto sheets.  When I do I get error marks and they do not print correctly.  When I go back to the xrefs they seem to be ok with no errors showing.

Can anyone assist me?

many thanks

Simon

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ToanDN
in reply to: simonlee

Do you mean those wall clean up errors?

Message 3 of 5
timandjo

Post a screen shot or pdf of the xref and the sheet. Have just posted similar - is it similar to my issue?

Message 4 of 5
aghis_no

The problem occurs when you insert more than one "plan views" of different levels on the same sheet drawing.

This happens because when you create a "view drawing" for the plan of a level, ACA inserts the constructs of that level at 0,0,0 point of the "view drawing". So when you drag the "view drawing" on a "sheet drawing" the constructs will also be at 0,0,0.

Now, If you have more than one plan views of different levels "dragged" on the same "sheet drawing" they are all going to be inserted at 0,0,0 overlapping each other and causing walls on constructs of different levels to cleanup themselves. This is going to produce many defect warnings as you may have walls that overlap.

This is a far as multiple "plans views" on the same sheet are concerned and there is a simple workaround: When you finish dragging your "plan views" on the sheet (and you get the errors), you switch from "paper space" to "model space" of the sheet drawing and manually move the levels so that they do not overlap. This is easy because each "view drawing" is inserted as an xref on the "sheet drawing" so with just one click you can for example move each xref 100m on the "y" direction avoiding the overlapping. You may have this problem very often during competitions when you will need to have all of the plans of a building on the same sheet (to plot the competition panels).

However, you should not have the same problem when you just have one "plan view" and one or more "section/elevation views" on the same sheet. If this is the case then you probably have something wrong, so just check the following: When you create a "view drawing", you right click on desired folder and you have a choice between "general view", "section/elevation view" and "detail view". There is one important difference between these choices:

The "General view" is meant for "plan views" and "3D representations", "axonometric views" etc., this will cause ACA to insert all of the concerned constructs as "attached xrefs" in the current "view drawing". So the constructs will travel along with the "view drawing" to the "sheet drawing" that the "plan view" or "3D view" will be inserted in.

The "section/elevation view" as well as the "detail view" are meant for the creation of "2D sections", "elevations" and "Details" derived from the model. In that case ACA will insert all of the concerned constructs as "overlaid xrefs" in the current "view drawing". The constructs will be only used to create the 2D section or elevation but they are not going to travel with the view drawing on to the sheet drawing that the view will be inserted… That way there is no possible overlapping of the constructs on the "sheet drawing"…

So, probably you have created your section or elevation views choosing "general view" causing the constructs of the different levels to travel up to the sheet and of course to be overlapped with the plan view constructs.

Hope this helps

Regards

aghis  

Message 5 of 5
simonlee

Thanks aghis, I tried that and it seemed to work, I had three xrefs overlaid one on another.  I managed to delete those I didn't need and it seems ok now.

Thanks again.

Simon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost