AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

workspace switching, ribbon, tool pallet problems

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
cdzurko
747 Views, 4 Replies

workspace switching, ribbon, tool pallet problems

I have 2 of my 4 ACA 2010 systems that are having some odd problems with the workspace switching, ribbon & tool pallets. it started with the tool pallets gettign switched to 'all pallets' and loosing the option to switch to design content-no access to walls, doors etc. when we went into options and switch the profile to ACA default this came back. after working on the system for a few days the ribbon changed this morning and we no longer have the option of the architecture work space, only 2d drafting. it does not seem to matter what profile we use now everything gives us the same look and tool pallets are disipering. any sugestions on what may have changed or how to correct this?
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: cdzurko

First, off, understand that what happens in the Tool Palettes (specifically,
Tool Palette Groups) is completely separate from the "Workspaces" you see in the
UI.

Tool Palette Groups are basically defined in the
%RoamableRootFolder%\Profiles\YourProfileName\profile.aws file. This file
defines Groups, which Palettes are in which Groups, the order of Tools in each
Palette, and Palette view options (e.g., transparency)

Workspaces (as seen in the application status bar "gear" icon) are defined in
your Main (and Enterprise) CUIx file. Workspaces define the configuration of
Ribbon tabs and panels, toolbars (if you have any), various palette locations
and sizes, docked status, and so on.

The solution to help you keep your entire UI right and healthy is to do several
things:

1. Establish a baseline Profile (Options > Profiles). If you use the default
AutoCAD Architecture (Imperial) profile, I recommend saving it as a new profile,
setting that current and using that. That allows you to use the AutoCAD
Architecture profile as a fallback in case (when) things go screwy.

Along with this, copy/create a new ACA desktop icon and modify the /P switch to
point to this new profile. That way, you can instantly revert back to the OOTB
ACA profile by using the default desktop icon or the Start Menu.

2. Set up your Palettes as you wish, as well as your UI workspace. Save the
Workspace to your CUI (Workspaces > Save Current As).

3. In Options > Profiles, export your profile to a .ARG file that you save on a
shared location on a server someplace. At the end of the .ARG file, there is XML
code that is a direct copy of the "Profile.aws" and "Fixedprofile.aws" files,
which defines your complete Tool Palette system.

Make it a habit to export your profile to an .ARG when you make major changes to
your palettes and/or ACA operating environment.

4. Every so often, make a copy of your Main CUIx file as a backup, and store it
next to your profilename.arg file on the server.

Matt
matt@stachoni.com

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 06:42:47 -0800, cdzurko@kaylorarchitects.com <> wrote:

>I have 2 of my 4 ACA 2010 systems that are having some odd problems with the workspace switching, ribbon & tool pallets. it started with the tool pallets gettign switched to 'all pallets' and loosing the option to switch to design content-no access to walls, doors etc. when we went into options and switch the profile to ACA default this came back. after working on the system for a few days the ribbon changed this morning and we no longer have the option of the architecture work space, only 2d drafting. it does not seem to matter what profile we use now everything gives us the same look and tool pallets are disipering. any sugestions on what may have changed or how to correct this?
Message 3 of 5
KathyMoffa

I am so glad to see that someone else has this tool palettes problem! I have been going nuts trying to figure out what is so unique on my sytem that I'm the only person with this problem. I have exactly the same problems with the Tool Palettes that you describe, and have had this problem since first installing ACA 2010 (when evaluating on a Vista 32-bit system and now on a Windows 7 64-bit system). Every week or ten days, my Tool Palettes inexplicably "convert" to the All Palettes only, but it's an All Palettes without Design, Walls, Windows, etc. It occurs when I'm working in ACA, and with nothing out of the ordinary having happened. They are just suddenly gone.

I reported the problem (SR#1-7824899681), and support just gave me written instructions a couple of days ago to reset the settings files to the defaults. That got me back to the OOTB Tool Palettes; however, I'm quite certain that resetting hasn't "fixed" the problem permanently. I had been doing Repairs, which would bring back all palettes, but with no groupings.

I have not had a problem with my Workspace settings.
Message 4 of 5
KathyMoffa

Matt,

Thank you so much for your advice. I have been using the default ACA Profile(Gosh, who would have thought that was a bad thing to do!), and it was being corrupted on a weekly basis. As per your directions, I created my own profile, so that I can just revert back to the ACA default (and immediately create & set current my own (which I can use for another 7-10 days before repeating the process)). I'm going to be really good at this by the time Autodesk comes up with a fix!

Kathy
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 07:58:59 -0800, kathymoffa <> wrote:

>Matt,
>
>Thank you so much for your advice. I have been using the default ACA Profile(Gosh, who would have thought that was a bad thing to do!), and it was being corrupted on a weekly basis. As per your directions, I created my own profile, so that I can just revert back to the ACA default (and immediately create & set current my own (which I can use for another 7-10 days before repeating the process)). I'm going to be really good at this by the time Autodesk comes up with a fix!

Well, you will certainly get a lot of practice.

However, I would not hold my breath waiting for a fix. The corruption problems
are part and parcel of the costs of moving to XML based systems such as in the
Tool System and the CUIx.

Because XML based files need to be parsed and rewritten so often (particularly
as a consequence of how Autodsk designed them), they seem to be particularly
sensitive to file I/O errors.

My opinion is that if you export your profile to an .ARG file as a routine part
of your week, you have much better chances of sidestepping such catastrophic
issues.

Matt
matt@stachoni.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost