AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

window placement and mullions

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
glb
Observer
986 Views, 5 Replies

window placement and mullions

I want to place a window in a wall, but i want to control it location. the standard insert is to place the window on the centerline of the wall, i want to place the indow on the outside of a thick wall. the wall is 10" thick and the window is a picture window with 1.75x4.25 frames.

in the same window i want to place two horizontal mullions or frames. the winow is 9' high and i want the horizontal frames up 24 in. from the sill and down 24 in from the head.

any ideas.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
David_W_Koch
in reply to: glb

Select the Window.  On the Window contextual ribbon tab, on the Anchor panel, choose the Reposition Within Wall tool.  (Or right click and choose Reposition Within Wall from the context menu.)  Follow the prompts.  Once positioned the way you want, if you select the offset Window and, on the Window contextual ribbon tab, on the General panel, you choose Add Selected, you can add additional Windows with that same offset.

I am not exactly certain what end result you want with the horizontal mullions, but one way to do something similar to what you ask would be to create a custom muntin block and add it as a custom display block as a style-level override to the Elevation Display Representation.  The Elevation Display Representation does include a Muntins tab that allows you to generate a muntins block, but you would need a uniform spacing or to match one of the available patterns (diamond or prairie for a rectangular opening).

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 6
glb
Observer

thank you for your reply. i failed to note that i am using architect 2009. i believe there is a ribbon setting, if i cannot find the tools you mention in my command menus, i will activate the ribbon setting.

Message 4 of 6
David_W_Koch

I can not check for the exact command sequence in 2009 right now, but there should be something on the right click menu after selecting the Window.  If you do not see anything directly in the right click menu, it may be on a flyout menu - look for menu items with an arrow icon at the right side.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 6
glb
Observer

thanks for the response. the placement of the window within the wall was in fact quite easy to do. i still have not been able to control the verical placement of horizontal mullions. none of the setup commands seem to work. again it is most likely something simple, it is just the command sequence language that is difficuly.

Message 6 of 6
jmcintyre

In 2009 you control the location of a window within a wall via the properties palette, under anchor.

To create the mullions you have 2 choices. You can create a profile and assign it t the window style. Better yet is touse a Door Window Assembly (DWA). If you use a DWA instead of a window, in the style you can nominate which way the mullions run, their size and their spacing. Far more flexible than a window.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost