AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window Endcaps

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
garchgrp
188 Views, 1 Reply

Window Endcaps

I have designed a window assembly with a 4" frame. The window inside the assembly has shutters attached to it because I could not figure out how to add them to the assembly. My problem comes with the 4" frame. This is because when adding the frame in plan view it makes the window show 4" wider obviously. I need to put the 4" frame around the window as trim and would like to know if there is an alternative way to do it so that in plan view my walls are not 4" away from my window. Please Respond
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Mike Thayer
in reply to: garchgrp

I created a new wall style based on the one I am using, with a new very thin layer inside (1/32") using a neutral material/hatch. Then I use this layer near the exterior to create a new 4" endcap using the Endcap feature, pushing it past the other wall parts to create the trim. Then create a new Opening Endcap with this newly created end cap, setting it for the entire surround on the window (or opening), Next, associate it with all openings (as appropriate for whatever gets trim), reset the wall endcap back to normal, turn off endcaps in plan view, turned on in elevations. Works well for arcs, and I've also created brick sills and soldier courses with it (though not for arcs)
Bonus is that you don't have to create a new window everytime you use it. Just place opening of any type in wall, and instant trim!

Mike T.
Jacksonville Fl.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost