AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

walls - layer key overrides

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
kallen-altus
462 Views, 4 Replies

walls - layer key overrides

so,  do the improvements made to 2013 wall display layer key overrides allow the user to set it up so that a demolition wall type automatically comes in on a-wall-demo?  or is that still a manual override that needs to be applied prior to placing the wall?  i've been messing around with it but it looks to me like i can only affect what is defined within the wall.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Keith.Brown
in reply to: kallen-altus

Can you not set a style override on the demolition wall style?  In the style manager select the style type and then in the display properties tab select the Style Override button to apply a style override and set your layers there?

This is how I do it for duct systems in Autocad MEP.  I am pretty sure that they work the same for architectural items.

Message 3 of 5
kallen-altus
in reply to: Keith.Brown

That is what we've done in the past.  The analogy there is that you are changing what is within the block (wall) but now what layer the block (wall) is assigned to.  The challenge is that we have not formally adopted using the display configurations for triggering whether something like a demo wall is displayed or not.  We're still using layers to define visibility.  A wall (or door,  or window...) has a key style that says "it's a wall - put it on A-WALL unless the user has applied a manual override".  i don't care for the manual overrides because they can be left on by accident and just create a bigger mess.  i thought the new system would allow a demo wall to come in automatically on a-wall-demo.  but maybe i misunderstood.

Message 4 of 5
Keith.Brown
in reply to: kallen-altus

I see what you mean.  The wall wants to force itself onto the A-Wall-Std layer.   I was unable to find anywhere to change the layer key that a wall as a whole goes on.  I am sorry but my specialty is really Autocad MEP and Autocad MEP styles do not behave this way.  Changing the style will change its layer to the layer assigned to the style.  It is as if the Wall Styles are hard coded to the Walls Layer Key.

The good news is that if you create a wall tool and place it on the palette you can change the layer key there and the wall will go onto any layer that you like.  So you can create a wall tool for your demo walls and use it to draw them.

Hopefully someone here with more experience with walls can answer the question better.

Message 5 of 5
kallen-altus
in reply to: Keith.Brown

we don't do a lot with custom palettes.  i honestly forgot that they could be changed there.  That could be an option to pursue.  it's such a pain but i realize that we're not using it the way it was designed.  i'll look at the palettes - might be an answer there.  thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost