AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall openings stop my space generation

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
thawkeshnm
308 Views, 5 Replies

Wall openings stop my space generation

When i generate a space, where I have placed wall openings, the space generation stops.
I could create a space by clicking at each of the four corners of the space, but I would rather see the gerated space ignore openings in walls.

Anyone know ant tricks about how to do this?

CAD file attached for reference.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
David_W_Koch
in reply to: thawkeshnm

Are you wanting the Space object to flow through the Opening, so that, in your sample file, you would end up with just one Space?  The only way I know of to do that would be to remove the Opening objects and create the "holes" in the Walls by modifying the floor lines.  That will allow a generated Space to run through the "holes".  See attached revision of your drawing file.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 6
thawkeshnm
in reply to: David_W_Koch

I see what you did there, that is one way of doing it.

I was just checking to see if there was a way to allow the space generation to flow through the AEC object openings.

I've tried using openings in walls, but using the AEC wall opening objects is just so much better than holes in the walls.

Message 4 of 6
David_W_Koch
in reply to: thawkeshnm

No argument there - I would not normally model openings in a Wall by modifying the Floor Line as I did in the sample file.  I would use an Opening object or a custom Door Object.  But then I would also want the Spaces to stop at those Openings, and, so far as I know, there is no way to get an autogenerated, associative Space to run through an Opening. 

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 6
ntellery
in reply to: David_W_Koch

A window object in the style box can have it's affect on spaces turned off.  Could turn the display of everything off or just leave a thin frame and use it as an opening tool maybe.

But methinks the wall itself is dividing the space, regardless of the opening object.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 6 of 6
David_W_Koch
in reply to: ntellery

I had forgotten about that toggle on the General tab of many AEC object Style Definition, including Walls and Doors.  Unfortunately, Openings do not have Style Definitions, so there is no toggle for them.

I thought I could create the equivalent by using a Door Style to create the equivalent of an Opening, but with at style-based object (see http://architects-desktop.blogspot.com/2011/10/aca-openings-with-style.html for more on that if interested), but when I tried that, I came to understand what you meant when you said

But methinks the wall itself is dividing the space, regardless of the opening object.

Even if the style of the Doors acting as Openings is set to not act as a boundary for associative Spaces, the Walls hosting those Doors still provide the boundary.  So unless you are willing to uncheck that toggle for the Wall Style(s) too - and have the Space include the footprint of the Walls within its area - using a Door Style that does not bound Spaces does not allow the Space to flow through.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost