AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall grips / Osnap

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
tdodd
1515 Views, 2 Replies

Wall grips / Osnap

I quite often like to use the wall grips to adjust the length of a wall.  This works reaaly well accept for the occasional situation were I want to snap to the face of another wall rather than the  justification line.  I know that I can snap to the face of a wall rather than the justification line becuase I have some files that it works fine in and other files that it does not work in.  Does anyone know the setting that controls this?  Thanks, Todd

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
David_W_Koch
in reply to: tdodd

There could be a number of factors at work here.

There is an OSNAP setting in the Drafting Settings dialog, on the Object Snap tab at the bottom, under the AutoCAD Architecture category, to "Allow general snap settings to act upon wall justification line".  This is meant to be an aid in getting your justification lines to meet so that wall cleanup takes place.  With it on, snaps should apply only to the justification line.  I also find that whether or not you have Polar turned on makes a difference, particularly with the Intersection object snap.  With both Polar and Intersection active, even when the "Allow general snap settings..." toggle is not checked, the Intersection snap goes for the justification line like a bear to honey.

The Wall contextual ribbon tab also has a Snap to Wall Justification tool, that highlights in blue when selected.  The tool tip implies that this is the same thing as the Drafting Settings dialog, but it is not automatically highlighted when the toggle is checked, and highlighting it does not enable the check mark in the dialog.  Just now in ACA 2013, I was not having any luck getting this tool to control whether snaps operated on Wall justification lines; I had to make the setting in the Drafting Settings dialog.  I recall this working properly in previous releases; perhaps there is an issue with my installation.

Another thing that could be affecting your ability to grip edit a Wall to the face of another Wall is the Autosnap setting, specifically the one for grip edited Walls.  This setting is drawing-specific, and can be controlled in the Options dialog, AEC Object Settings tab, in the upper right corner in the Wall Settings area.  The top toggle controls the application of AutoSnap when addiing a Wall.  The second toggle controls Autosnap when grip editing a Wall.  The third line has an edit box for entering the Autosnap radius.  When Autosnap for grip editing is active, if your grip edited endpoint is at or less than the Autosnap Radius value away from a Wall justification line, the endpoint of the grip edited Wall will snap to the justification line of the other Wall.  I believe the out-of-the-box default radius is 6" (for imperial units and is likely 15 mm for metric units), which, for many Wall Styles, puts either Wall face within the Autosnap range, no matter what justification was used.  You can either turn the Autosnap feature off or reduce the radius.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 3
tdodd
in reply to: David_W_Koch

David,

The third option, using the setting in the Options Dialog fixted the issue for us.  THanks for your help!! -Todd

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost