AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall End Cap wrapping help

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
BrockJRW
2174 Views, 4 Replies

Wall End Cap wrapping help

Good morning all,

I need some help understanding end caps. I have read a good bit and watched a couple of tutorials as I usually do before I post but i'm not finding anything to help my current situation or give me a comfortable understanding of wall end caps.

Right now what i'm trying to do is simply have a stud with 3 layers of .5 GWB on each side wrap around with no joint. I have come close but I just cant seem to get all the way.

I understand that the direction I draw my polyline in matters and that i have to give a segment a width wider than 0 if I don't want it to show. In the drawing attached I think I have gone about setting this all up the correct way. 

I can get one layer to do what I want but i'm not sure how to get multiple layers do wrap in the end cap sytle.

Any help is greatly appreciated and if anyone has anything to help me further understand end caps, that would be welcome as well.

Thanks,

Ryan

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
BrockJRW
in reply to: BrockJRW

I was able to get this to work although i'm not 100% sure it's the best way.

I was able to move those polylines down to meet the end of the wall style and use the calculate Automatically tool and it did the job. I still had to go in and edit the endcap in place to make the ends meet but it works.

If anyone reading this has a better way to go about it then i'm still open to ideas.

Thanks,

Ryan

Message 3 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: BrockJRW

Here are some thoughts:

1. Your polylines need to all start from a common "liine" that runs perpendicular to the length of the Wall. Your inner layer polylines were okay in this regard, but the other layers did not have "legs" that exteded back to the same starting line as the inner layer polylines.

2. The polylines should extend the full width of the Wall, meeting the ones from the other side. ACA will scale the polylines to adapt if necessary, but that usually produces undesirable results.

3. For a plan view, butting the polyline from one side into the one from the other side (with a non-zero width segment where they meet), works fine. If you ever look at the Wall in "3D," however, you will see a "seam line" where the two endcaps meet. If you have the meeting segment on the diagonal at a corner, that seam line will be at the corner, where there already is a line, so you will not see the seam.

I cannot attach a file to this post here at work, but I will endeavor to remember to do so tonight from home.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 4 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Here is the file.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 5
BrockJRW
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Excellent!! That is exactly what I was looking for. I never thought to do a diaganol line to hide where they join.

Do you know of any good tutorials or reading to master endcaps or is it more just trial and error?

Thank you for your help,

Ryan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost