AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewports can't be moved/modified

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
jmh54
85574 Views, 21 Replies

Viewports can't be moved/modified

I am using AutoCAD Architecture 2011. I have been working in a drawing for several weeks on casework. I have multiple viewports on my sheet layouts. Up until now I was able to select the viewports and move them or make them bigger or smaller with grip edit but now although I see them I can't select them or even delete them. I can double click within the viewport and change the scale or modify the items in the viewport but I can't do anything to the viewport in paper space.

I have turned all the layers on and made sure that none of them were locked. I have tried regen. I have opened a new tab and tried to create new viewports and I have the same problem. I can create them but once I do I can't modify / move them.

Beyond that when I switch from model to paper space it takes about 5 min. sometimes longer to switch and the same thing when I save it or close it. Is that normal? I have to do A LOT of waiting!

This is just the tip of the ice-burg of the problems I have but this is the only one that keeps me from being able to do my job.

Any suggestions!?!

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
pendean
in reply to: jmh54

This happens in all drawings? or just this one? Post one here is ALL drawings, otherwise Start a new file and INSERT the problem child into it and continue on.

Message 3 of 22
David_W_Koch

Do you draw your viewports on the Defpoints layer?  If so, is Layer 0 globally off, globally frozen or VPLAYER frozen in the paper space viewport?

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 4 of 22
jmh54

I do draw my viewports on defpoint layer. And I have made sure that all my layers are on and not frozen.  This happens spontaneously seemingly and it spontaneously fixes itself. Yesterday afternoon they started working again eventhough I had not tried anything different. Just left it open and was working on another dwg. 

About inserting the "problem child" into a new drawing. Would you copy/paste the dwg and the viewports? I have not had any luck copying viewports even from one layout to the next. When I copy them and paste them on another layout the viewports turn into just boxes with no viewport inside.  Any suggestions on that?

Message 5 of 22
pendean

Typically when a problem is in a Layout, it's best to not grab content from there and add it into a new file: that just brings the problems along. Start fresh.

I prefer to WBLOCK out all the modelspace content, the INSERT that into a new file, recreating the titleblocks from teplates and viewports from scratch.

If no-problem files, when copying viewports, you need to take the extra step and turn them back on: MVIEW command does that.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous

Turn on layer Zero,

Defpoints should be thawed (where the viewport you cant move is supposed to be.

Go out of autocad, reload autocad and open your drawing.  Your viewport should be movable now.  Note the defpoints layer in the layer manager was not only a "no plot" layer it was some sort of ghost layer at the first point.

Thanks,

Message 7 of 22
Jaime

Just today I received the same error in paper space.  I can see the title block I created in the paper space area, as well as the Xref objects in the mview window, but when I select the title block or mview window I don't see any grips and I can't delete or modify anything in any way.  I can even create new objects that become unmodifiable... crazy!

Have you got a solution to the issue yet?  Because it's killing me not knowing the fix.

- Say what you will, but I think chloroform smells sweet in the morning. That good ol' formula CHCl3
Message 8 of 22
Jaime
in reply to: Jaime

Found it... my layers in Model Space were all unfrozen & unlock, BUT... the layers that my viewport & title block were created in were locked in PAPER SPACE. It's a different world in there. wow
- Say what you will, but I think chloroform smells sweet in the morning. That good ol' formula CHCl3
Message 9 of 22
David_W_Koch
in reply to: Jaime

On what layer did you draw the viewport?

On what layer did you insert the title block (assuming it is a Block Reference or an External Reference)?

Are either of these layers (assuming they are different) globally frozen, turned off, locked or paper space viewport frozen? (Yes, paper space is a viewport, and you can VPFreeze a layer in that viewport.)

If you drew the viewport on the Defpoints layer (and I would strongly recommend creating a different layer, making it non-plottable, and putting your viewports there), is layer 0 globally frozen or turned off? Defpoints and Layer 0 have a mystical link in AutoCAD; globally freezing or turning off Layer 0 (generally a bad idea in AutoCAD Architecture) will affect items on the Defpoints layer.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 10 of 22
Jaime

I drew the viewport on the Defpoints layer, the Title Block (which I inserted as a block image) is on an added layer I've labelled "Title"

They were both locked within the Paper Space viewport.  When I unlocked them in Paper Space I was able to modify/edit the selected layer & my grips all came back.

In the future I'll get in the habit of making my viewport on a different layer & just making it non-plottable like you've suggested.  Thanks David

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous

i think the problem is ...

there is a larger viewport on top of the small viewport which you wanna make changes.

when one bigger viewport blocked a smaller one. you will just be able to select the big one instead of the small one.

hope this solve your problem thought it is 2012's post lol.

but hop it helps other cad user too 🙂

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

I had this problem a lot on previous created drawings, couldn't modify existing viewports. I turned on the defpoitns layerand finally could select them.

Message 13 of 22
rinki.shah93

when you click on your view port and it show "Command: _.PSPACE Regenerating layout." in your command bar try using "MS" command works perfectly well after it.

and MVIEW command creat a MSpace viewport but if you have already a view port they might overlap so make sure you delete view ports before useing mview command 

good luck let me know if it work or not

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thank you.
Message 15 of 22
f_fariborzi

Hi, it just happend to me yesterday i couldn't see even the outline of the viewport, it was unselectable BUT i found the soulotion. On paperspace double click inside that viewport then type commond "vpmax" then type ps (paperspace) to comeback to paperspace, here we go I can see and select the viewport (hope you can too 🙂

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous

You can try selecting the viewports and then in the properties tab, under Misc, where it says on, change to no then back to yes. Worked for me.

Message 17 of 22
matt

Create a new layout tab by copying the one w/ the viewport problems.  I did it, and it worked fine.  

Message 18 of 22
tomfilipcic
in reply to: f_fariborzi

This solved the issue for me - i.e. unable to pan/zoom/refresh/select in mview from layout view.

Message 19 of 22
walterskim29

i am using autocad 2021. so i am trying to put drawing on sheet using the viewport. i can create the VP and select it but the problem i am having is that it is not giving the option to resize it. the grip function is not showing when i select the VP. i created a new layer but that did not fix the issue either. PS not of the layers are freeze, lock etc.  Please help 

Message 20 of 22
matt
in reply to: walterskim29

Make sure you are in paperspace when trying to grip the viewport. Make sure you actually created a viewport and not just a rectangle made out of polylines.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost