AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using AutoCAD Architect Tutorial in PDF on top of Architect's drawing window.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
FRANK_DORN
2299 Views, 7 Replies

Using AutoCAD Architect Tutorial in PDF on top of Architect's drawing window.

I am a new student to Autocad Architect using version 2013 and am doing the 2010 tutorial (apparently the latest available in the Autocad Architect support section) to find my way around. I am looking for a way to keep the tutorial PDF open and readable on the screen while following the tutorial instructions to do operations on the Architect 2013 program. Whenever I do any selection or operation on the Architect program the tutorial automatically minimizes and disappears off the screen at first touch in the Architect program. This makes it more difficult to follow lengthy instructions involving a sequence of selections and button clicks because the tutorial has to be redisplayed so often instead of just being there to refer to constantly. How can I keep the tutorial displayed while working in the Archirect program?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: FRANK_DORN

Dual-screen perhaps, if your current screen isn't wide enough to dock both program windows side by side.

Message 3 of 8
leothebuilder

Your IPad ?

Message 4 of 8
FRANK_DORN
in reply to: pendean

Thankyou for your kind attention and response. I am using a 27" HP widescreen with plenty of room to dock side by side but the Tutorial still minimizes instantly as soon as I click on anything in the Architect program. Interestingly, this does not happen to AutoCAD Architect HELP showing in a separate window on top of the Architect program. You can move the HELP window around the screen (and size it to anything convenient with the resize handles) while working in the Architect program. Glancing back and forth from one to the other is so much easier for a new comer like me. If AutoDesk can do that with their own HELP window it has to be possible to do that with the Tutorial window which is also an AutoDesk product.
Message 5 of 8
leothebuilder

If you are using a PDF tutorial, that is probably opened in Adobe Reader which is as you know a separate software application. Same as having a Word or Excel application open together with Autocad. Click on the Word document and Autocad will minimize and vise versa.

If you use the tutorials through the Autodesk Exchange (top r/h corner of autocad screen) that window will stay open same as the autocad help window.

Message 6 of 8
FRANK_DORN
in reply to: leothebuilder

I don't own an Ipad
Message 7 of 8
FRANK_DORN
in reply to: leothebuilder

Thank you so much for helping me. I was using the Tutorial with a PDF reader (PDF Complete which was preloaded on my new computer) and you are right, it did act like a separate program. After seeing your advice I investigated how to do what you suggested and found a Readme which advises downloading the Tutorial files to the desktop and then opening the zipped folder and installing the HELP format files (CHM) into The AutoCAD Architect Help folder. Then when opening the tutorials and training drawings from the help menu they are predicted to stay open just as the regular HELP files do. I am working on this now. Thanks again for your kind assistance. Have a great day. Sincerely, Frank Dorn
Message 8 of 8
FRANK_DORN

The installation of the AutoCAD Tutorial Document CHM file into the AutoCAD Architect Help file does not complete. A selection for this file does not show up in the Help dropdown in the Architect program. I have tried installing on two different paths into the Help files and neither works. I am using windows 7 and AutoCAD Architect 2013. The two paths are: (1)  C:\Autodesk\AutoCAD_Architecture_Help_2013_English_Win_64_32bit and (2) C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD ACA 2013 Help\English\Help. Nothing happens with either install. I then tried downloading and installing the AutoCAD Architecture 2013 OFFLINE HELP per the readme files for this download. I thought this might be required to get the Tutorial Document to install on the HELP drop down list. It downloaded fine but when I installed it this program hung up. The file is called autocad_architect_help_2013_english_win_64_32bit. It successfully goes thru RUN,thru the INSTALLER with progress showing to completion, then the AutoCAD install window and the license agreement window but then hangs up at the INSTALL>CONFIGURE INSTALLATION window. At that point everything is grayed out except the BACK and CANCEL buttons with no further explanations. I tried cancel and a pane showed it to be running so I let it run overnioght. This morning it was still there just the same. I canceled and retried with all the same results. I am blocked from further progress on this effort as well as getting the CHM Tutorial file to install in HELP.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost