AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Implementation Strategies

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
AnneliseWhite
262 Views, 2 Replies

Upgrade Implementation Strategies

Hello y'all,

I have been looking for articles and forums on this topic, but I couldn't find one that was quite right, so I need some advice.

Set up: My company(about 8 employees) is still using AutoCAD 2000, like super vanilla, not even using Xrefs or Paperspace. So after 14 years, they are just starting to breakdown to the idea that it is time to update our software. I have spoken to them about Revit and how it would be the best bang for the buck, but I feel that Revit is just too foreign and scary for them to pull the trigger on. But they may be interested in at least upgrading to AutoCAD 2014 or AutoCAD Architecture 2014. There are about 4 of us that have used recent AutoCADs and Revit in the past, who could help give direction and tutor, but we are also the 4 newest/youngest employees.

Question: What advice do you have in terms of how to go about implementing a major software switch over such as this? Would it be better to start with a few licenses (constantly having to save down to 2000, so the other workers can do their parts) and spread the change out over time? Or would it be better to upgrade all the computers at once (knowing that everyone would be on a learning curve at the same time)?

I can see pros and cons to either, but any advice or personal experience testimonies would help us out  a lot! Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Without knowing the particulars of your situation and the personalities involved, it is hard to recommend a best approach. Assuming that the interface change alone will not induce catatonia in any of the staff* and that cost is not a driving concern, I would suggest upgrading everyone at once. Those who resist leaving their comfort zones should be able to run 2014 the way they run 2000, once the learn the new interface. If only the bold and daring are upgraded, they will be unable to take full advantage of any of the new features if they have to keep their work compatible with others still using 2000. If you can get everyone running on 2014, then the power users can make use of newer features and perhaps even interest some of the others in learning how.

* - Given that your firm is not using external references or paper space, that may be an unwarranted assumption. 😉

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 3

My previous response also assumed that even though you are running AutoCAD 2000, you are not doing so on computers acquired in 2000. Before making a decision, you will want to research both minimum and recommended specifications for hardware. Nothing will raise howls of "I told you so" like trying to run AutoCAD on a woefully underpowered computer.

AutoCAD System Requirements:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15412189&linkID=9240617

Revit System Requirements (in case you decide to go for broke):
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15385625&linkID=21208795

Autodesk Certified Hardware:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=16318527&siteID=123112

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost