AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universal Text Change Option

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
614 Views, 9 Replies

Universal Text Change Option

I would like to know if there is a tool/plugin that would be similar to match proporties that would allow me to change a text and then use that text to point and universaly change all other picked text within a drawing environment.

Right now we are making manual changes per mtext line to make the transition and I am sure there must be a more productive and quick way to do this.  Just have not been able to find it.

Any help or hints would be grately appreciated.  We are running Autodeask Architecture 2014.

Regards,

Klozter

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

change a text means what exactly? Font? Format? STYLE definition? Content?
MTEXT or TEXT, or Attributes? Or all three?
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

My apologies for not being more specific.  What I am attempting to do is to make a text style to one note that has already been placed in a drawing and then be able to click on that note to be able pick other notes and have the change take effect other than going to each note one at at time to change the text style to the new text style for the drawing.  I hope I have clearly explained this, if not please let me know I will try to break it down even farther.

Message 4 of 10
David_W_Koch

Welcome to the Discussion Groups!

Are all of your text settings made in the Text Style or are properties of the overall text object?  If so, then MATCHPROP should work (provided that you have the Text toggle checked in the Settings dialog for MATCHPROP).

If you are using MTEXT and setting text properties within the MTEXT editor, then MATCHPROP will not work.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

That is the issue I have been running into.  All the text within the current document have been done with mtext.  I thought this might be the case, but was hopeful there maight be a script or plugin that would be able to override this.

Message 6 of 10
David_W_Koch

We try to avoid using formatting within MTEXT for that very reason.  "More experienced" users, who learned AutoCAD before there was MTEXT, and are used to making text formatting choices in Text Styles, generally play nicely.  There are some who learned AutoCAD after the advent of MTEXT, who use the Standard text style for everything, and then apply overrides in the MTEXT.  That works, but makes it very difficult to implement global changes, as you have found.

I would be surprised if someone has not written a LISP routine or other customization to strip out MTEXT formatting.  Whether someone has written a routine to copy the formatting from one source and then push it onto other selected text is a very different animal, particularly as the formatting in the source or target files could change throughout the MTEXT string.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

I totally agree about the mtext thing.  I hate it, but I just joined a new firm where they love it.  I have tried to explain to them as you have, but am still getting much resistance to it.  Then they complain about the time involved to make the style changes and, to date, have not been able to get them to understand.  Maybe I will show them this post and hoopefully they will understand what I have been attempting to tell them all along.

I have been working and growing with autocad since V.1 back in 84', but the new wave refuses to see the forest for the trees.  Life was so much simpler back in the DOS days, but then again that is just this old war horse's opinion! 🙂

Thanks for your response!

Klozter

Message 8 of 10
David_W_Koch

For office-standard, contract documentation, the styles should already be there.  Even if your firm has a large number of "standard" text appearance requirements, it has to be faster to select the proper Text Style (or apply it after the fact), than to set MTEXT overrides for each and every text object.  But I have seen blank stares when I mention Text Styles, as though I had made the term up on the spot.  Fortunately, we have a fairly limited number of text styles and there are tool palette tools set up for starting various types of text, so that makes complying with office standards relatively easy.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 9 of 10
pendean

There is a free STRIPMTEXT lisp/vlx file floating around these forums if you want to find and use it: it will remove all formatting overrides inside MTEXT objects.

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Thank you for that information.  I will look for it.  Anything that will speed up the change process will be welcome. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost