AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding Display Representation Control

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Oilymo
347 Views, 4 Replies

Understanding Display Representation Control

I'd like to try and make my ACA behave a little like Revit i.e. I draw the entire house in one file rather than ground floor, first floor, loft room etc..  I have some quite successful results using display configurations to set up set heights throughout the building but there are certain items that I would like to turn off within a certain config i.e. a certain mass element style.  Is it possible to turn off a style within a display config?  Also does anyone have or know of a good tutorial that I would watch/read to best understand the display manager?

Thanks for all help

Ben

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ntellery
in reply to: Oilymo

Hi Oilymo, I do know who you are don't I? (trying to place you - uk?).

I have done this and use it successfully for residential work.

I chose to use layers to seperate so my layering system starts with level - 1-*, 2-*, Site-* etc

This works really well but it does require ensuring you have stripped out layers from your styles (this is not as hard as it sounds).  I also use copies of each display config for each level and just change the cutplane. Very easy/quick to do.  I have a lisp routine to automate the change of levels as detailed on my blog.

The problem with what you are asking is not everything obeys the Display Reps in the same manner, ie MassElements, dims and text (general autocad stuff). 

For Stairs I add extra display reps so can display (the one stair) differently for ground 2nd floor etc.  This is also easy to do.

I've tried something similar for spanning walls and whilst that part does work, the cleanups can be messy so I don't do that.

For the display reps you should be able to find some good tut's at AU where they show past years if you are on sub you have free access.  For my system I try to stay as close to OOTB as I can only making simple changes as needed.  The system you are alluding to I think takes a lot more work in creating / linking display reps to styles.

btw I am referring to residential/ small commercial. I wouldn't do it this way for large projects.  Presently I am finishing off a 3 storey house and made some adjustments to how I worked as there was a lot of info but it has still worked.   If I remember correctly a key to my system is the wall style (standard) having it's own cutplane assigned rather than global cutplane. 

email me if you like and I am happy to send you samples of the system in practise and the lisp file (WIP) I use.  user name atgmaildotcom

http://ausaca.blogspot.com/search/label/Multi-Levels

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 3 of 5
Oilymo
in reply to: ntellery

Hi Nathan, yes you're quite right I'm here in the sunny but chilly UK and yes we did talk recently regarding the use of the roof tool, which I have to say I am still not using properly.  I seem to resort to using the roof slab as I have learnt to overcome  its limitations.

Thanks for the response and I went back and had a look at your email you sent me, had trouble getting the lisp routine to run but understood your layer implementation.  I'm not concerned about the final presentation onto paper, that I am happy with what I am trying to do is simplify the presentation in front of the client.  At the moment I am flicking between four files and having to use construction lines etc. to ensure I align ground floor features with first floor ones etc. Wouldn't it be nice to only show the client their house in one file and use the display rep to shift up and down.........just like Revit.

I'll keep playing and maybe replace mass elements with other objects that better obey what I am trying to achieve i.e. walls and then replace once my clients have agreed a final scheme design.

Cheers for your help

Ben

Ps. How are you finding 2012?
Message 4 of 5
John.W.Mumaw

You can control what style displays in a certain display configuration by using classifications.  The display control for classifications is at the "Display Set" level.  If I understand what you're trying to do you would need a display set for each level with a corresponding classification.  At the style level for the type of entity you're trying to control set the classification accordingly and then in the display manager, on the "Display Options" for the display set for that floor turn on and off the classifications that are appropriate.

I've used this before to illustrate construction sequencing for a contractor in 3d views but I don't see why the same thing wouldn't work for what you're trying to do.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Lost Bent Woodworking & Design
Message 5 of 5
ntellery

Because layers are an underlying and well supported system in acad/aca I think they are a better way to manipulate levels in 1 file.  I was quite surprised how easy my system came together and how well it works with such a basic lisp routine (what errors happen for you?)

Classifications is an interesting idea but my concern is whether everything including acad items can be controlled and what amount of customisation you will have to do.  Same with Display reps. lots of work.  For my system, I make a copy of a display rep and change the cut plane.  That's it. (ok little more work for stairs).

I've tried to tour in ACA but it's too slow and awkward.  I have succesfully exported to 3DWF for client walkthru using Design review but navigation is stupid clutzy and lighting is amateur.  Worked tho. Very quick to export and open.  I have plans set in paperspace (yes using layers) and it's easy to switch between.

If I can get rid of my echo on recording audio I will post on youtube process.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost