AutoCAD Architecture General Discussion

AutoCAD Architecture General Discussion

Aidan.Garbutt
Message 1 of 12 (227 Views)

UCS Face Problem

227 Views, 11 Replies
09-28-2012 04:04 AM

When using View>UCS Face, it doesn't seem to recognise AEC Objects like walls or Mass Elements.  Clicking on the object gives the message "No 3D solid, surface or mesh detected.".  It does however recognise primitive 3D Solids although it doesn't show the red hatching as it used to.

I have tried this on Windows XP Standalone as well as Windows 7 Network and Standalone.

Is ther some system setting that I need to apply, a hotfix or service pack?

All advice gratefully received,

Aidan

Aidan.Garbutt
Message 2 of 12 (206 Views)

Re: UCS Face Problem

10-03-2012 04:26 AM in reply to: Aidan.Garbutt

Is there anybody out there?

Does nobody else ever use UCS face.  Is this problem just our installations of Architecture 2013 or is it more widespread?

regards Aidan

*Expert Elite*
leothebuilder
Message 3 of 12 (197 Views)

10-03-2012 06:39 AM in reply to: Aidan.Garbutt

UCS-Face only works on 3d solids, surfaces and meshes, and does not work on AEC objects (unfortunately)

Aidan.Garbutt
Message 4 of 12 (194 Views)

10-03-2012 09:36 AM in reply to: leothebuilder

thanks for the response Leo,

it definitely worked on AEC objects in 2010 and I'm almost certain that it still worked on them in 2012.

What a frustrating loss of functionality - I'm going to have to amend my tutorials accordingly unless Autodesk can add it back in before next week

reagrds Aidan 

*Expert Elite*
leothebuilder
Message 5 of 12 (190 Views)

10-03-2012 10:32 AM in reply to: Aidan.Garbutt

I'm on ACA 2012...and it does not work on AEC goodies

*Expert Elite*
David_W._Koch
Message 6 of 12 (178 Views)

10-03-2012 06:27 PM in reply to: leothebuilder

I can confirm that Dynamic UCS worked for AEC objects (Walls and Mass Elements, anyway) in ACA 2010.

David Koch
Aidan.Garbutt
Message 7 of 12 (170 Views)

10-04-2012 12:08 AM in reply to: David_W._Koch

Thanks David (and Leo),

I have just installed both ACA 2011 and 2012 on my PC and the UCS Face tool does detect AEC ojects (cerainly walls) and shows red diagonal hatching just as it did in 2010,

I am just a bit disappointed that something my students have used frequently is now lost - 3-point UCS can get one to the same point but with a couple more steps and no visual prompts

regards Aidan

*Expert Elite*
David_W._Koch
Message 8 of 12 (158 Views)

10-04-2012 08:28 PM in reply to: Aidan.Garbutt

I got Dynamic UCS to work with AEC objects, but in re-reading the posts today, I see that you were asking about the Face option of the UCS command.  I am not able to get that to work with Walls or Mass Elements, but I was able to get it to work with a AutoCAD Solid.

I do not have access to ACA 2013 to determine whether or not Dynamic UCS works there, but if it does, it may be an alternative way of working with a UCS that is parallel to the face of an AEC object.  I realize this is only temporary (dynamic), rather than permanent, but may be workable for certain workflows.

David Koch
Aidan.Garbutt
Message 9 of 12 (148 Views)

10-05-2012 02:04 AM in reply to: Aidan.Garbutt

good idea David I will give it a go.  I have always liked the concept of the Dynamic UCS but my problem is that I have never managed to make it work consistently and repeatably enough (my degrading grey matter no doubt) to feel confident in passing the techique on to my students,

Aidan

Leegmoser
Message 10 of 12 (142 Views)

10-05-2012 04:12 AM in reply to: Aidan.Garbutt

AutoCAD provides various methods to determine a Individual Co-ordinate Program. All of these alternatives are available to you when you use the UCS control.

The UCS Command

Toolbar 

Pull-down: Tools_UCS_various options
Keyboard UCS
When you begin the UCS control from the laptop key pad or from the plugin you are provided with several alternatives on the control line:

Origin/ZAxis/3point/OBject/View/X/Y/Z/Prev/Restore/Save/Del/?/<World>:

These alternatives will be described later.

Note that the pull-down selection allows immediate entry to all of these alternatives. You can also obtain immediate entry to the alternatives from the fly-out UCS control buttons on the conventional plugin or from the UCS plugin.

First let's have a look at a realistic example of interpreting a UCS using the 3point choice.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.