AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UCS Face Problem

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Aidan.Garbutt
787 Views, 11 Replies

UCS Face Problem

When using View>UCS Face, it doesn't seem to recognise AEC Objects like walls or Mass Elements.  Clicking on the object gives the message "No 3D solid, surface or mesh detected.".  It does however recognise primitive 3D Solids although it doesn't show the red hatching as it used to.

I have tried this on Windows XP Standalone as well as Windows 7 Network and Standalone.

Is ther some system setting that I need to apply, a hotfix or service pack?

All advice gratefully received,

Aidan

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Is there anybody out there?

Does nobody else ever use UCS face.  Is this problem just our installations of Architecture 2013 or is it more widespread?

regards Aidan

Message 3 of 12

UCS-Face only works on 3d solids, surfaces and meshes, and does not work on AEC objects (unfortunately)

Message 4 of 12

thanks for the response Leo,

it definitely worked on AEC objects in 2010 and I'm almost certain that it still worked on them in 2012.

What a frustrating loss of functionality - I'm going to have to amend my tutorials accordingly unless Autodesk can add it back in before next week

reagrds Aidan 

Message 5 of 12

I'm on ACA 2012...and it does not work on AEC goodies

Message 6 of 12

I can confirm that Dynamic UCS worked for AEC objects (Walls and Mass Elements, anyway) in ACA 2010.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 7 of 12

Thanks David (and Leo),

I have just installed both ACA 2011 and 2012 on my PC and the UCS Face tool does detect AEC ojects (cerainly walls) and shows red diagonal hatching just as it did in 2010,

I am just a bit disappointed that something my students have used frequently is now lost - 3-point UCS can get one to the same point but with a couple more steps and no visual prompts

regards Aidan

Message 8 of 12

I got Dynamic UCS to work with AEC objects, but in re-reading the posts today, I see that you were asking about the Face option of the UCS command.  I am not able to get that to work with Walls or Mass Elements, but I was able to get it to work with a AutoCAD Solid.

I do not have access to ACA 2013 to determine whether or not Dynamic UCS works there, but if it does, it may be an alternative way of working with a UCS that is parallel to the face of an AEC object.  I realize this is only temporary (dynamic), rather than permanent, but may be workable for certain workflows.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 9 of 12

good idea David I will give it a go.  I have always liked the concept of the Dynamic UCS but my problem is that I have never managed to make it work consistently and repeatably enough (my degrading grey matter no doubt) to feel confident in passing the techique on to my students,

Aidan

Message 10 of 12
Leegmoser
in reply to: Aidan.Garbutt

AutoCAD provides various methods to determine a Individual Co-ordinate Program. All of these alternatives are available to you when you use the UCS control.

The UCS Command

Toolbar 

Pull-down: Tools_UCS_various options
Keyboard UCS
When you begin the UCS control from the laptop key pad or from the plugin you are provided with several alternatives on the control line:

Origin/ZAxis/3point/OBject/View/X/Y/Z/Prev/Restore/Save/Del/?/<World>:

These alternatives will be described later.

Note that the pull-down selection allows immediate entry to all of these alternatives. You can also obtain immediate entry to the alternatives from the fly-out UCS control buttons on the conventional plugin or from the UCS plugin.

First let's have a look at a realistic example of interpreting a UCS using the 3point choice.

Message 11 of 12
Aidan.Garbutt
in reply to: Leegmoser

thanks for the response Lee, but I don't quite know what you are suggesting.

In ACA2013 - UCS command gives:

UCS Specify origin of UCS or [ Face  NAmed OBject Previous View World X Y Z ZAxis]  <World>:

My problem is that Face does not work in ACA 2013 as it did in ACA 2010/11/12

regards Aidan

Message 12 of 12

for anybody interested I have had a response from Autodesk Support which reads:

Thank you for choosing Autodesk Support. 

You are correct that in AutoCAD Architecture 2013 this behavior has changed and we have already reported this to our development team for further research. 

In AutoCAD Architecture 2012 and previous releases, the "Face" command (from the Ribbon > "View" tab > "Coordinates" panel) invoked the AECALIGNUCSTOFACE command. 

Now in AutoCAD Architecture 2013 the same button calls the VIEW command, which - as a standard AutoCAD command - will not work on AEC elements. 

As already mentioned, this has been reported to our development team. Development will further research on this and also assess if a product modification is necessary. Currently though I am not able to give you any further reliable information on this. 

As a workaround for the moment you can invoke the AECALIGNUCSTOFACE command from the command line - or change the macro behind the ribbon button manually using the "Customize User Interface". The correct command macro should be as follows:

^C^C_AecAlignUcsToFace 

I hope this helps - please advice if this resolves the issue for you or in case you are in need of any further assistance.

So, there we have it - a problem and a solution, regards Aidan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost