AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to build on a different level and see it in overhead view

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Elliander
5923 Views, 8 Replies

Trying to build on a different level and see it in overhead view

I know how to view the list of levels and I know how to create a new level and I even know how to define the height of a level. I also know how to change the elevation of a wall to build higher up which I can orient in a 3D view. What I can't seem to figure out is how to define which level I am currently working in when working with 2D overhead view blueprints. Whenever I allign the object on the second floor not only do I not see it, but if there is a second floor object directly over it (like another wall) the object beneath doesn't show up at all even though it all looks correct in 3D view..

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dbroad
in reply to: Elliander

Are you using the project navigator?  To work on a particular level, just open a construct assigned to that level.  Each construct should occupy only 1 level (except for spanning constructs).

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 3 of 9
Elliander
in reply to: dbroad

I have read that mentioned in a few places, but it doesn't really make any sense to me. All I see in the proiject manager is the list of projects. There is no listing of different levels there, and if I try to create a new project it doesn't appear to connect in any way to the one I am working on.

Also, in addition to wanting to see the second floor in 2D I would also like to be able to print out blueprints with measurements that only show length by width and I would also like to be able to define where the support posts are. The city needs to see information about joists span and location of support posts in the blue prints. I already wrote them out by hand, but it would be nice if I could have them streamlined better.

This is all I am able to get it to show:

extension_006.jpg

Also, I can't seem to create any second floor plans without first creating "spaces", but those "spaces" appear solid when I try to print it out under any style other than X-Ray:

extension_001.jpg

And why is the image quality reduced significantly when using the print option? I have to take a screenshot of the visible area, paste into another program, and print from there to get any real image quality.

Message 4 of 9
Elliander
in reply to: dbroad

Even in premade sample projects (db_samp) I don't see any way to toggle between floor plans. When I go into:

"Project Manager:

And under "Project Name" it showed the name of my project, not the sample. Even after closing all those tabs and opening just the sample it still does the same thing. When I click "Project Properties" it doesn't give me any option to change that. Closing the program entirely and then opening it again shows the same thing - before even opening a single project. Selecting "close current project" from the bottom closed the box, and then typing in "Project Manager" in the command line turned out to be the only way to select a new project (which is really REALLY weird! So I should only open project a certain way?) , but I couldn't find the project for what I was looking at before so I clicked "Sample Project 2014" and it asked me if I wanted to repath it because it moved. I selected "yes" and then it gave me details about the project and the new project opened.

When I look at the defail for

Project Manager: > Constructs

I see the floor plans exactly as I would expect to see them. Oddly though when I close that project every tab asks if I want to save changes even though I changed nothing.

When I open my own project though I have the following directory structure, but only the "Typical Toilet Room" even has defined walls - even though I didn't make it. (the rest empty grids) The first tab that opens for the project doesn't appear to be accessible from any of these which is what's confusing me at this point. If I don't even know where the existing blue prints are how can I know where to go to add onto them? Will I need to start over with a new project?

- Architecture

- Core

- 00 Core

- 01 Core

- 02 Core

- Stairs

- Interior

- 00 Interior

- 01 Interior

- 02 Interior

- Roof

- Roof

- Shell

- 00 Shell

- 01 Shell

- 02 Shell

- Site

- Terrain

- Slab

- 00 Slab

- 01 Slab

- 02 Slab

- Structural

- Elements

- Architectural

- Typical Toilet Room

Message 5 of 9
KathyMoffa

This product is far too complex to attempt to learn without study and/or training.  The User Guide (the 4,000 plus page one) has a thorough explanation of the Project Navigator, and Paul Aubin's Mastering ACA 2010 (945 pages) contains a  great overview of PN.  Not enough has changed since 2010 to make this book, or its last successor, obsolete.     

The Project Navigator is ACA's file management system, a kind of "smart" Windows Explorer.   When you start a new Project by copying an existing one, it  unfortunately does not include the drawings in the copied project.    Unless the Commercial template project is close to what you actually need, I would suggest starting a new project from scratch.  Even if it is, I would still minimally go through the process on a small project first to get a better understanding of how and what you control.  

The Project Navigator palette contains  4 tabs:  Project, Constructs, Views and Sheets.     Your drawings are all contained in the Constructs, Views and Sheets, and the Project tab is your manager, and where you define your levels (one of the first things you will want to do).   If your drawing contains 3 floors, you will have a minimum of one construct drawing for each floor, and your roof drawing also will be a separate construct.   In the Levels section of the Project Navigator, you enter the floor elevation and the floor-to -floor height of each level in your project.          You do not do any dimensioning or documentation or printing in your Construct drawings, and you do not do any "modeling" in Views or Sheets.        You say that you can't create second floor plans without first creating spaces.  What you need to do is first make sure that you have set up a level for your second floor, create a new construct drawing and assign it to the second floor level, draw your interior walls, doors, etc.     At that point, you can create spaces based on your drawn geometry.  In the Properties palette, you have an option to specify  2D, extrusions or freeform for each space.

In the View tab, you create View drawings that contain xrefs of one or more Construct drawings.       For example, if you want to see an exterior composite of your entire building,  you create a View drawing that contains all the constructs you want to see.    When you create a new View drawing, you specify which drawings to include.  You can also detach drawings you don't need afterwards, as well as just drag and drop construct drawings into your view drawing.        You also create View drawings for documentation and dimensioning.    The Sheets tab is for printing.  You drag and drop (xref) Construct drawings into View drawings, and View drawings into Sheet drawings.

Everything you see and everything you print in this product is based on seemingly infinite settings, so if you don't learn it in some sort of organized method, you are going to continue to be very frustrated.

Message 6 of 9
Elliander
in reply to: KathyMoffa

Thanks for the clarifications. I will create a new project, but first I have one important question: Exactly which location does a given floor's construct drawing need to be made? I am pretty sure that the 00, 01, 02 corresponds to floors because I defined the number of floors and the dimensions of those floors, but there are multiple different construct directories and I want to make sure I use the correct one.

Message 7 of 9
KathyMoffa

After you create your new project and specify its levels, right-click on the Constructs tab and select new construct drawing.  A dialog box will then pop up that allows you to check the level that matches this drawing.   You can name (and rename) the levels to something that is meaningful for you, for example, Basement, Roof, First Floor, etc.  If you start a brand new project without using the commercial template, you will not have any of those levels (00, 01 and 02) already in your project.   You will need to create each level you need for your specific project, and you have to tell it at what elevation each of those levels starts, for example, Main level at 0, 2nd level at 10', etc.  It will become much clearer as you progress through the process.  The view drawing is where you check if you're levels are entered correctly.  If they are, all the floors will align properly.  If they aren't, you will need to go back and adjust the elevations in Project manager.    If you have multiple levels with the exact same interior walls (or something close enough that you want to use them, you can start a new construct by copying an existing one to a new level.

Message 8 of 9
ethanyakhin

THIS ANSWER WORKED FOR ME

1. click the 2nd story object or wall.

2. Go to top view, making sure that the object is still selected

3. open properties panel (command is pr)

4. click the display tab within the properties panel

5)There is 4 small icons at the bottom of this tab.

click the first one which is kind of green with a pointer symbol on it

6) make sure to select the wall--remember, if this in 3d view it wont work

7) lastly, change where it says override cut plane from 'no' to 'yes'

8)thats all

Message 9 of 9
marctraya
in reply to: KathyMoffa

Click on the construct corresponding to the level you are working on.

Edit what  you want. Then refresh. I was able to edit but when I refresh the view

it does'nt update the new view.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost