AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Creating MSV from tool callout

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
BrockJRW
459 Views, 11 Replies

Trouble Creating MSV from tool callout

Good morning,

I am using 2014 ACA. I use project navigator. I am trying to use my callout tools to generate my section, elevation and detail model space views and put them in a seperate view drawing to basically go through and cartoon the set.

I am able to create the detail and section 2d elevations in the current drawing but when I try to creat the exact same detail and section 2d elevation and have it done in a existing drawing I get nothing but the detail or section line. I'm going through the exact same process both way except for when it asks where I would like the 2D elevation drawn.

Any ideas on what's going on here?

I have enclosed the construct (drawing 1) drawings for review. As you can see, the top detail boundary and section line are the 2d elevations generated to the right. The bottom detail boundary and section line are the ones that i tried to put in an existing view.

Drawing 1 is the construct

V-Floor Plan is the view the callouts are generated in

New View 1 is the view file i'm trying to put the 2d elevations in

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ryan

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
leothebuilder
in reply to: BrockJRW

I don't have 2014 so I can't open your files.

All I can suggest is to read and follow all the command line prompts when you use the call outs to create new view drawings.

Message 3 of 12
BrockJRW
in reply to: leothebuilder

Yes, i've triple checked every setting when going through the motions and i'm doing the exact same thing each time. Works great in the current drawing but just not happening when going to new or existing view.

Doesn't make any sense.

I'm in ACA 2013 btw. Not sure why I put 2014

Im actually not so conserned about the model space view being created. My end goal is to get the 2d section/elecation that my callout creates to be located in a view drawing so that if I do a series of details or section cuts I can put them on what will ultimately be my corresponding view drawing. 

Message 4 of 12
BrockJRW

OK...

So I can get the new 2d section/elevation MSV to show up in an existing view drawing now if I first xref in the plan that I am developing with callouts and section/elevations in. 

This tells me that somewhere in the process, the program is not making the connection from the drawing containing the original plan and callouts to the new or existing drawing that contains the MSV and 2d Section/elevation in it. What would cause this?

Any ideas? 

Thanks,

Ryan

Message 5 of 12
David_W_Koch

Are you creating the callouts directly in the Construct? I believe the intended workflow is to create a View first (of, for example, a plan for a particular level), and then to place the callouts in that View file. The View file would already have the relevant Constructs externally referenced, and if you choose to put the results of placing a callout in a separate file, the necessary external references are also placed in the separate file.

David Koch

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 6 of 12
BrockJRW
in reply to: David_W_Koch

David,

I was originally trying this from a construct but quickly realized that was probably part of my problem.

Now I am making a construct that contains my base floor plan and then xrefing that into a view. I am then doing the callouts and sections in that view and trying to put the MSV in another new and/or existing view. What i'm trying to accomplish here is to have my floor plan view with notes, dimensions, callouts, section marks but have those sections and detail callouts be tied to another view for my building sections. Then another view for my enlarged details, etc.

The tutorials I have watched and everything I have read seem to do this flawlessly so i'm not sure what i'm doing different. Frustrating as i'm trying to get my entire office to adopt this strategy and cut out having to do everything with linework.

If you make a construct, then xref that into a view, then do a detail callout in that view and choose "add to existing" view for the MSV, what do you get?

Thanks for your time,

Ryan

Message 7 of 12
David_W_Koch

Are you using the Project Navigator to create the View from the Construct, and then place the callout in that View?

I started a new project, using the imperial commercial project template. I drew some Walls in the Toilet Room Element and on the 01 Interior Construct.

On the Views tab, I right clicked and chose New View Drawing and went through the steps of the Wizard to create a new first floor plan view.

I opened the new view and used the Section Mark A1T tool on the out-of-the-box (United States) imperial Callouts tool palette, to create a new section, in a new view.

The new drawing was created, the appropriate external references placed and the section generated. NOTE: Be sure to follow the prompts all the way through, including the last one, where you pick a point in the plan View file indicating where the callout should be placed in the file to be created. There may be a pause as the file is being generated before the prompt for the point appears.

Then I used that tool again, to create another new section, but this time called for the generated section to be placed in an existing drawing, indicating the file in which the first section was placed..

The expected section was generated in both cases.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 8 of 12
BrockJRW
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Yes, I'm doing everything through the project navigator.

I've done this so many times I have no doubt that I am following every step. There is no way I could make the same mistakes this many times. I pay close attention to the prompts and place the section every time. I just don't get it.

I'm going to start a new project with the out of the box apj and use the default dwt's to create my drawings and see if I get a different result.

Right now everything is custom from the APJ to the DWT to the tool palettes. It must be some setting I have changed along the way but I can't imagine what it could be after 2 days of working on this.

Thanks for taking the time to do that. Maybe i'll get a different result when i'm not using any of my custom stuff. I'll post again my results.

Message 9 of 12
BrockJRW

Day 3.......

I went to a laptop last night and tried this again with the default profile, out of the box apj & dwt with a default project.

I draw 4 walls in a brand new construct created through project navigator. I save it. I then create a new view drawing through project navigator. I pull in my construct xref (have tried both attach and overlay). I save the view with the construct xref attached. I then open the tool catalog and pull in the Detail Boundary A and place it on a corner. I expand and specify my first leader point. I then name my new MSV leave both generate section and title mark boxes checked and pick New View Drawing.

I name the new view drawing, use an out of the box dwt (AEC Model Imperial DWT). I choose level 1 division and check the box for constructs and then click finish.

I specify my elevation for plan section (3'-6") and depth of plan section (8'-0") then specify my insertion point of the 2d section result.

My new view is created in the project navigator but no MSV is below it. I open the new view that should have my MSV and 2d section in it and all i see is an elevation line (or section line when doing a section) where the 2d section should be.

Same result as day one but this time on a different computer using all out of the box ACA stuff. What the heck is going on here? I'm spending 3 days now working on something that seems to be a standard function of the software for everybody else. 

This is turning into a hugely inefficient way to spend my time but it is something I have to get working that should be so simple.

As usual any help is appreciated and thank for your time already spent. This should not be an issue.

Thanks,

Ryan

Any ideas

Message 10 of 12
KathyMoffa

The only way that I can "sort of" recreate your problem is if I enter a negative number, like -50', when prompted to specify the elevation for the Plan Section.  Are you setting up your levels in PN?  

Message 11 of 12
BrockJRW
in reply to: KathyMoffa

UGH!

Everything seems to be working now. I walked away from it for a day and did something else and came back with a fresh set of eyes.

It was either a bug or glitch OR the fact that my xrefs were overlays instead of attachments from the construct to view. If that was indeed it then I am very embarrassed but must own that oversite on my part. DOH!  I haven't had the nerve to test my theory because I really don't want to think it was something that easy I overlooked.

Thank you for everyone's time on this though. This forum is a great source and I really appreciate all of you that take the time to help others. I'm trying to help when I can but i'm more of a question asker then answerer at this point.

Ryan

Message 12 of 12
David_W_Koch

All of us were question askers at some point. Glad you were able to sort out the issue. Making the external references overlays from Construct to initial View may have prevented them from following through to the other view where you are asking the callouts to be placed. Without the external references in the destination View, there is no geometry from which to generate the callout.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost