AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tricky roof dormers

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
tomf
663 Views, 8 Replies

Tricky roof dormers

Need help with tricky dormers/roof in AutoCAD Architecture.  I'm using V2009 (but have access to V2012 at work if there are features that will make this easier).  I've tried using roofs and roof slabs and solids to carve out the main roof and merge with a dormer like that shown but I cannot get it to work.  Please see the photo.  My roof dormer tools always seem to be quirky.  Andy avice for this type and I'd love to get a CAD example showing this working uploaded. Thanks.

Thank you!

Tom

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
KathyMoffa
in reply to: tomf

A very badly neated ACA upgrade is to the roof object, but here is my work around its limitations.  The first step is to trick the Roof object into making the gable by drawing a polyline that has a bumpout for the two gables.   After entering & verifying all your roof properties (plate height, pitch, etc.), edit the gable roof edges and change the plate height (I show going from a 10' plate height to a 12' plate height in my example).  You will notice that the roof object correctly elevates the plate height, but undercuts the main roof to the gable overhang.     Next, convert to roof slabs, and use the slab grips to pull the roof overhang under the gable, and to pull back the gable slabs that were created with the bumpout.   Finally, project the walls up to the gable.  In this case, I couldn't get clean results projecting to the roof, so drew a polyline instead.    

A great source for more information on the roof object is www.ausaca.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 9
tomf
in reply to: KathyMoffa

Thank you Kathy - you refer to an example, was there supposed to be an attachment?  Thanks!

Message 4 of 9
KathyMoffa

So sorry!  Located but didn't attach.  It's in ACA 2012.

Message 5 of 9
KathyMoffa

Don't know what's happening--it shows on my side, but doesn't get attached.
Message 6 of 9
KathyMoffa

Message 7 of 9
KathyMoffa

Worked from Firefox, but not from IE
Message 8 of 9
tomf

Thank you!  I'll take a look at work but from the preview I really appreciate all the stepped-examples.  It shouuld prove very helpful!

Message 9 of 9
ntellery

Hi Tom

The Roof Object is a lot more flexible than is apparent but it takes some simple but hidden tricks to get it to behave.

I look at Dormers in several of my video's but yours is not looking for a cutout so it's really the 'switch back that is the secret here.  If you go to my channel and watch the roof series, video 2 and 15 but getting it to overhang itself.  You need to trace the outline of the roof to just off the start of the dormer, up to the valley of the dormer and back down, hard to explain but easier to show.  

You prob also have to not draw exactly true lines but just off, to allow room to set edges etc.

Not sure those 2 video's cover all the techniques used but you should find the others very informative.

You may also need to learn how to add edges (vertices) to the RO which should be on one of the early video's.

I've attached a sample of your situation. I've highlighted areas to take a closer look.

Good luck.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost