AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool Palettes not loading

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
anniesball72
5435 Views, 9 Replies

Tool Palettes not loading

I am running ACA 2010 version 2. I noticed when using it yesterday that the Tool Palette is not loading for Design, Annotation, Render and Detail. This used to work. When I right click and select "customize" on the Tool Palette that does open I see the 4 Palette groups, but there are no palettes under the folders. All folders are empty. See attached file.

It's important to know the Tool Palette does open, but it is not context sensitive nor does it change when I go through the Home, Annotate, Render. It appears that the tool palette does have some of the palettes, but they aren't ordered or complete.

The application didn't crash or throw any errors prior to noticing that the Tool Palettes weren't working as before.

Thanks Edited by: Anniesball72 on Jan 6, 2010 6:09 PM
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
KathyMoffa
in reply to: anniesball72

I have your exact problem, and in my case, it happens about every 7-10 days, and it's been going on since I first evaluated 2010 on a different operating system. Support gave me instructions for clearing the settings files for AutoCAD, which got me back to the OOTB state. Next, I followed Matt's instructions (12/30/09 this forum) for creating a profile and using that one instead of using the default ACA profile, so that I only have to switch back to the ACA profile (and repeat the process) each time my tool palettes get corrupted.
Message 3 of 10
anniesball72

Thank you I will search for that solution. So you just simply switch back and forth when the problem occurs?
Message 4 of 10
anniesball72

I took a look but was unable to find the post you are talking about. Can you give me the Subject name of the post so that I can search for it? Or the username would be good also. Thanks!
Message 5 of 10
KathyMoffa

Yes. I immediately go back into profiles and save the default to a new name, and then make certain the new icon I've created to start ACA is pointing to the correct profile.

If you have been using your own profile, it's the one that is corrupted and the above is all you need to do; however, if you were using the ACA default profile, it is the one that is corrupted, in which case you will need to clear the settings files. I've attached the instructions from Autodesk.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 10:26:25 -0800, kathymoffa <> wrote:

>I have your exact problem, and in my case, it happens about every 7-10 days, and it's been going on since I first evaluated 2010 on a different operating system. Support gave me instructions for clearing the settings files for AutoCAD, which got me back to the OOTB state. Next, I followed Matt's instructions (12/30/09 this forum) for creating a profile and using that one instead of using the default ACA profile, so that I only have to switch back to the ACA profile (and repeat the process) each time my tool palettes get corrupted.

Kathy,

You shouldn't have to go back to the ACA profile at all, except in a serious
dire emergency type sitaution.

If you make it a habit to export your personalized profile to an .ARG file
(saved on a server, so it gets backed up), you can simply go into ACA, rename
your current (bad) profile to something else, Import your saved .ARG file, and
set that restored profile Current. You palettes should come back. Then delete
the bad profile.

That allows you to keep your personal profile and tweak it as necessary, instead
of going back to ACA and redoing all of your tweaks from scratch.

Matt
matt@stachoni.com
Message 7 of 10
KathyMoffa

Matt,

Thanks--I have exported it out, so I will try that the next time.
Message 8 of 10
KathyMoffa

That's odd--I can't find it either, and it was only a few days ago. Here is what I printed out.
Message 9 of 10
KathyMoffa

Well, I didn't have to wait long! My palettes just reverted back to the "all palettes" (albeit without the Sample Palettes), and I simply imported my saved profile back in. Works great, but it certainly would be nice if my palettes would just stay put!
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 12:46:47 -0800, kathymoffa <> wrote:

>Well, I didn't have to wait long! My palettes just reverted back to the "all palettes" (albeit without the Sample Palettes), and I simply imported my saved profile back in. Works great, but it certainly would be nice if my palettes would just stay put!

Losing the palette groups is due to corruption or other issue with the
"profile.aws" file located under the %Appdata%\Autodesk\ACA
2010\enu\Support\Profiles\[ProfileName]\ folder.

When you export the profile file to .arg, it also writes out the contents of
your profile.aws. When you restore the profile as I previously instructed, it
will recreate the profile.aws from the contents in .arg, so you essentially can
recreate your Tool Palette System.

Alternatively, you can back up the profile.aws file to a safe location, and
restore/overwrite it when your Palette Groups go bad. Note you need to be out of
ACA to do this.

Matt
matt@stachoni.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost