AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool Palettes mysteriously changed

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Wisenbaker_Architects
2961 Views, 15 Replies

Tool Palettes mysteriously changed

Somehow the default tool palettes for all projects have changed in Autodesk Architecture 2015 to something with both metric and imperial "examples."  How do restore the default palettes from Design & Documentation in Content Browser?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Sounds like you loaded/started a new AutoCAD profile, or workspace.
What changed over the weekend?
Message 3 of 16

Nothing Changed - It all worked Saturday; I left my computer on until Monday morning when I restarted it; and then the new tool palettes appeared. 

Message 4 of 16

It sounds like you may now be in the "Global" profile.  How are you launching AutoCAD Architecture?  What default tool palettes did you used to have (US Imperial/US Metric, UK, another localization)?

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 16

I typically launch with a desktop shortcut for US Imperial.  This gives me the incorrect tools, many of which contain a lightning bolt image on their icon.  Tried launching direct from the C drive - that still gives me the same wrong tool palettes but without the lightning bolt image.  Profile is set to US imperial; I tried "Reset" but it did not change anything

Message 6 of 16

Could the profile have been reset previously?  Lightning bolt icons most likely mean your profile is running "as AutoCAD" and you have the default AutoCAD tool palette.  Resetting a profile returns it to the default state, which is "as AutoCAD".  If you open the Options dialog, do you have any of the AEC tabs present at the right end of the tabs?

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 7 of 16

There are 3 AEC tabs present on the right side.  The profile hi-lighted remains " AutoCad Architecture (US Imperial)"

Tool palate tabs include"Structural, Architectural, Civil, Electrical, Mechanical" and others, most with half imperial and half metric tools on each palate.

Message 8 of 16

Problem is definitely with the profile.  Profile hi-lighted was "US Imperial" yet at the top of the Profiles tab, Current profile was "Global".  I was able to switch profiles on a few projects and then......

I tried to follow the help file instructions to make the profile a global default.  Now on every project the Profile listed is "US Imperial," but the tools I get are the ones from the global profile and Content Browser cannot be loaded at all.

Message 9 of 16

Had you previously exported your profile to an external ARG file (back when it was working as expected)?  If so, you could try importing the ARG file to restore the US Imperial profile.  If you have access to another computer with a working US Imperial profile, you could try exporting from that computer and then importing that ARG file on the problem computer.

If not, it may be faster to do a repair installation to see if that gets things back on track.  If that does not work, then you could try a full reinstallation (not sure if you would have to do a full uninstallation first or not) or you could manually set the tool palette file locations, etc, to recreate the out-of-the-box US Imperial profile.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 10 of 16

I am able to import a profile from another computer (under a different file name) and everything works.  However, upon restart the program defaults back to the global profile.  Should I try to rename the working ARG file "US Imperial" to replace the corrupted file?

In any event I will run "repair installation" as soon as my disc arrives any day now, unless this can be done online?

Message 11 of 16

Once you import the profile that works, change your desktop shortcut to start from the now profile. We each use our names here that way we can keep track of our personal settings. Go to the properties of the shortcut then in the line called "Target" replace the standard profile with your new custom name heres what mine looks like. 

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Architecture 2012\acad.exe" /ld "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Architecture 2012\AecBase.dbx" /p "jeff"

the section after the /p and inside the quotation marks is your profile target.

Message 12 of 16
cadtastrophe
in reply to: cadtastrophe

You can write over the old one, but I would recommend having your own with a different name and then backing that one up. It can be used on other workstations if necessary, but you want to be starting your seat of autocad in your profile.

Message 13 of 16

Recieved a DVD of the program today and ran the repair function - problem solved.  Thanks for all your suggestions.

Message 14 of 16

Hello Fellow Users,

I am also experiencing this issue, it seems that after about 3 to 4 program starts my ACA Tool Palettes switch to AutoCAD Tool Palettes.  This is occuring on my HP Laptop Win7x64 and my HP Workstation Win8x64 regularly.  My only solution  is to run the reset to default settings utility.  Not happy as I then need to update all my customization files etc.  This is the first version of ACA that I have seen this and I have been a user of all released since v2005.  Autodesk, please fix this error with your software soon.

Message 15 of 16

I too use windows 7x64 on a Dell Precision T1700.  The reset default utility did not fix the problem for me - only the repair function from the install DVD worked.

Message 16 of 16

We are investigating a fix to this problem, which is due to an interaction between the Project Navigator palette and the New Tab page. 

One partial solution, after this reset to the AutoCAD default palettes has occurred, is to change the path to Tool Palettes File Locations in the Options dialog > Files tab.  Change this from "Support\ToolPalette”  to “Support\Workspace Catalog (Imperial)” - or the appropriate directory for your profile.  This will restore the palettes, but not the palette groups, so you will see all palettes.  To prevent this disruption from occurring, close the Project Navigator palette before exiting the application. 

I'm sorry that we cannot offer a more complete solution at this time. 

Bill

Bill Glennie
AutoCAD Team, including Architecture and MEP
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost