AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The selected block has no editable attributes

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
CastleCourt
2989 Views, 4 Replies

The selected block has no editable attributes

Hello,

I have come across a problem that the interwebs have not been able to help me with. I have two drawings of a widget saved to my computer (also attached) but they both behave differently. The first wblock/drawing file behaves normally when you drag the file from your windows folder into the drawing area. For example, after I have loaded the file, I am able to double click the block and open the "edit block definition" dialogue box. There are no attributes or constraints or anything other than a few lines saved. From there I could open any of the other blocks in the block editor and make changes. The block retains all layers, retains the original name and works great. When I open the file by itself, if looks and behaves like any other drawing or wblock.

Now the second file is what has me confused. I can drag this file into my drawing just like normal, but when I double click the file, I get "The selected block has no editable attributes". If I right click on the block I can open it in the block editor and make revisions like normal. I can also insert the block any way you can think of but I still cannot double click on the block and open the "edit block definition" dialogue box. Now, when I open the block in the block editor and check to see if there are any attributes, I find several. But when I open the file independently there are none.

I cannot figure this one out and I would appreciate any help you can offer. Many of the Drafters in the company have the right click set up to repeat command and getting them to change after 15+ years is not going to be possible. We double click on the blocks to double check that it's indeed a real block as opposed to something that has been "pasted as a block". I have tried several drafting stations and they all yield the same problem. We have roughly 2000+ of these files/wblocks that behave like this and going through them all is not possible. Please help!

Thank you in advance!

Brian

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
leothebuilder
in reply to: CastleCourt

I opened both your attached files and both do not contain any blocks.

All they have is lines and circles so I can't see what your block problem could be.

Message 3 of 5
pendean
in reply to: leothebuilder

The OP Posted two blocks, not container files: they want you to drag an d drop these into your file to replicate the errors being reported.
Message 4 of 5
leothebuilder
in reply to: pendean

Sorry....I misunderstood the OP's problem.

When I open the file for Block #2, a message pops up that the dwg file was saved by an application not developed or licensed by Autodesk.

That may perhaps cause the problem the OP mentioned.

Message 5 of 5
CastleCourt
in reply to: leothebuilder

I never did get this one figured out. I have sense then changed employers. Still though, I have never run accross that problem and hope I never do again! Thanks all that replied. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost