AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tablet in designing process - usefull or not ?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mingebartek
299 Views, 4 Replies

Tablet in designing process - usefull or not ?

Hi!

I'm studying architecture (1 year) in Poland. We live in an age when most architects use computer software in the design process, and I wondered how the tablet may be useful in this process? whether it is better to use a mouse with high precision when using programs such as Revit Architecture, ArchiCAD, or things like that.

Cheers!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
MarySeufert
in reply to: mingebartek

I find the tablet to be very useful for on-site meetings, field notes, picture taking, display your designs to clients, quick sketches... However precision drafting is not there yet. AutoCADWS is not AutoCAD. Who knows in the future, but for now CAD programs are on a PC with a mouse and keyboard. Getting over the lack of input devices is a stumbling block. Finger swipes and on-screen keyboards are cumbersome at times.

~ Mary

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 3 of 5
pendean

You still need a mouse (3D or standard) and a keyboard: touchscreens are not there yet, and may never be.

I wrote a short blog post about my experiences with AutoCAD on what is basically one of the best touchscreen Win7 devices out there and 'cumbersome' is putting it mildly when it comes to using AutoCAD, I can't imagine REVIT being easier:

http://ltisacad.blogspot.com/2012/06/autocadlt-and-touchscreens.html

Real life hasn't caught up with the today's movies yet, they just finished catching up with Star Trek/Kubrick's Odyssey gadgets... 🙂

Message 4 of 5
mingebartek

Mhm, okey, got it. Now let me ask you. There are mice for gamers with lot off buttons. I was wondering if it wasn't bad idea to set up all those buttons as some hot keys. Don't you think that it could be much easier to work in those programs such as Revit Architecture or 3d Max Studio while using this kind of mouse ?

Message 5 of 5
pendean

I'm not a fan of a mouse with lots of buttons but others like them, so it really comes down to personal preference (and finger agility).

As for 3D work, there is actually are 3D Mouse(s) out there that would work alongside your stadnard Mouse to make 3D work easier to navigate. Like this one: http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/what-is-a-3d-mouse.html

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost