AutoCAD Architecture General Discussion

AutoCAD Architecture General Discussion

ochdx
Message 1 of 7 (229 Views)

Tabbed interface?

229 Views, 6 Replies
10-28-2009 12:38 PM
I always have several drawings open, and I wonder if there is any way to enable tabbed drawing windows, kind of like Firefox, Opera and IE have tabs for each open webpage. This would make switching between open files so much easier.

Also, alternatively, is there a way to make it so that everytime I open a .dwg file by double clicking on it, to make it open in a new instance of Architecture instead of existing one.

Thanks.
*Dustin
Message 2 of 7 (229 Views)

Re: Tabbed interface?

10-28-2009 01:32 PM in reply to: ochdx
"I always have several drawings open, and I wonder if there is any way to
enable tabbed drawing windows, kind of like Firefox, Opera and IE have tabs
for each open webpage. This would make switching between open files so much
easier."

*Big A and drawing history you can swith it to "opened documents" and switch
them that way. Or use control and tab keys

"Also, alternatively, is there a way to make it so that everytime I open a
.dwg file by double clicking on it, to make it open in a new instance of
Architecture instead of existing one."

*set SDI mode to 1
Distinguished Contributor
KevinFielding
Message 3 of 7 (229 Views)

10-29-2009 02:54 AM in reply to: ochdx
A few years ago there was such an Autodesk or Augi test add-on (can't remember which). The tabs where just below where the ribbon would be now.

It was a good idea but a little sluggish, if I recall, you could even reorder your tabs too.

Shame it never caught on. Maybe in future releases. I think quick view is over engineered and hence a little sluggish on some older machines.
*Bill Gilliss
Message 4 of 7 (229 Views)

10-29-2009 06:19 AM in reply to: ochdx
ochdx wrote:
> I always have several drawings open, and I wonder if there is any way to enable tabbed drawing windows, kind of like Firefox, Opera and IE have tabs for each open webpage. This would make switching between open files so much easier.
>
> Also, alternatively, is there a way to make it so that everytime I open a .dwg file by double clicking on it, to make it open in a new instance of Architecture instead of existing one.
>
> Thanks.
>

Set TASKBAR to 1.
Valued Contributor
DianneS
Message 5 of 7 (229 Views)

10-29-2009 10:01 AM in reply to: ochdx
You can use quick view drawings and it also displays the layouts. Hold the control key down while using your scroll wheel to resize.
Can use the push-pin icon to keep it open.
Valued Contributor
DianneS
Message 6 of 7 (229 Views)

10-29-2009 10:03 AM in reply to: ochdx
Can also access the Big A docs list by using ALT-F. Quicker I think than clicking the Big A.
Valued Contributor
J.A.Mounteer
Message 7 of 7 (229 Views)

10-30-2009 10:20 AM in reply to: ochdx
As always, Google is your friend.

http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/2009/03/autocad-2010-free-bonus-tool-drawing-tabs.html

There are versions for 2009 and 2008 out there as well if you need those. Just search for "Tab Drawings Autocad " Most are called some version of MdiTabs.arx
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.