AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Variable grip mode

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
75ironhead
697 Views, 6 Replies

System Variable grip mode

Does any know the system variable that controls moving AEC Objects by their Grips, and then entering the distance? For some reason I lost the ability to enter direct coordinance to move walls. 

For example, say I want to move a wall 12" 

First I select a wall by its center wall grip, 

Next I drag the wall in the direction I want it to go.

then I enter the distance 12" and hit enter.

Thanks 

Todd

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: 75ironhead

What does it do when you proceed as you describe?
Message 3 of 7
David_W_Koch

In what direction do you want to move the Wall?  The center square grip's initial state is to Offset the wall, perpendicular to its length.  If you want to Move the Wall, you need to tap the CTRL key once (or hover over the grip before selecting it to get the context menu from which you can select Move, in 2014 or 2015) to cycle to the Move state, in which you can move the cursor as desired to establish a direction and then key in the desired distance and press the ENTER key.  ORTHO, POLAR and Dynamic Input can all affect the end result, when active (and, for Dynamic Input, depending upon which sub-features are active).  The Screencast below shows the capabilities of each mode.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 4 of 7
75ironhead
in reply to: David_W_Koch

David, after fiddling around a bit, I discovered that the wall seems to loose ability to be moved/stretch using wall grip after Property Set Definition is added to a walls for example a wall tag. 

I typically tag most objects in my constructs and never noticed this behavior in 2014.

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/f40d7cf0-c3a5-4408-86c0-a2d471f3e819

Message 5 of 7
75ironhead
in reply to: pendean

check my screencast for example

Message 6 of 7
David_W_Koch

Well, that certainly is unfortunate.  Not sure I would have believed it without seeing it, but none-the-less that is not expected behavior.

Not only could I reproduce the issue here (using all out-of-the-box US Imperial content), I had a few cases where even after both the style-based and object-based Property Sets were removed, the Wall still would not offset correctly.  I also tried duplicating the Tag tool and changing the duplicate to not be constrained to the object, thinking the Tag constraint might somehow cause the issue, and but got the same results.  Exact same setup in 2014 works as expected.

I do not have a work around to offer, other than to use the MOVE command, rather than grip editing, but I will pass this along to the development team to make them aware of this issue.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 7 of 7
75ironhead
in reply to: David_W_Koch

I also put in a ticket subscription center. thought maybe it could have been an anchor issue.
Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost