AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Version Stamp Removal

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
2352 Views, 16 Replies

Student Version Stamp Removal

Hello. I just upgraded to AutoCad Lt 2010 from the Student Version of 2009 AutoCAD Architecture. Unfortunately, the student version "stamp" came with all the files. Can these be removed?

Thanks,
Dave
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
BOBKELLERMAN
in reply to: Anonymous

You know, when I see versions of this question --- perhaps the most asked AutoCAD question in history --- I wonder about the person a bit, but I don't mean to slam you.
--- half (if not 90%) of the instances are doubtless from persons trying to cheat, or got files from persons trying to cheat.
--- and I wrestle with "if he is legit, why didn't he realize the question might be very common, and search?", and "what else could that plot stamp BE for, if not to warn you that you cant use the drawings?" --but we all have our moments, expecially after being surprised.

Simply enough -- why would Autodesk want you to be ABLE to remove the stamp from drawings or blocks made with software that is not for commercial use? Folks would just use the free student versions. And, why would Autodesk not permanently ban anyone with a hack who revealed the hack in an Autodesk Forum? (It's like paying for a telephone bill on the phone your wife uses to call her boyfriend, lol)
Thus, there is a case that anything created in Student is not legitimately yours.

If you bought the 2010 LT from a reseller, contact them, or contact Autodesk, if you like, and see if they will help you--- but they generally only do this when your legit work is accidentally corrupted by outside illicit blocks.

Look back through the forums for the 1000 other answers. Maybe one of them will tell you whether it works to XREF in the non-legit one, draw over it, and detach it. The only kosher answer is that you are drawing everything over again, one way or another.

BOB
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous

Sorry to disappoint you Obi-Wan. Nothing shady going on...just a question. Did my project in the student version and was hoping that there was an easy way to import in the AutoCad Lt.

I'll contact AutoDesk.

Dave
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

Sorry Padawan but you have just illistrated his point.
By doing the work in a student version it's not for profit.
It IS shady if you are trying to get rid of the stamp.
If the 'project' is for profit then you have to redraw in a commercial
version.
If your 'project' is for edu then be happy with the stamp.
No problem importing into lt. It will still have the stamp! That's the way
Autodesk designed it!

btw, be careful crossing files or importing blocks. It will 'stamp' any
file with EDU.

wrote in message news:6292485@discussion.autodesk.com...
Sorry to disappoint you Obi-Wan. Nothing shady going on...just a question.
Did my project in the student version and was hoping that there was an easy
way to import in the AutoCad Lt.

I'll contact AutoDesk.

Dave
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

Move on and redo any projects created on the EDU version. Hopefully you
used the free version to learn AutoCAD and benefitted in that way. There is
no upgrade path from EDU and there were plenty of warnings ahead of time
that the files would not be convertible.

wrote in message news:6292485@discussion.autodesk.com...
Sorry to disappoint you Obi-Wan. Nothing shady going on...just a question.
Did my project in the student version and was hoping that there was an easy
way to import in the AutoCad Lt.

I'll contact AutoDesk.

Dave
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous

Leia, Maybe it's shady in your circles? FWIW, The student version was purchased due to pricing....and I have built several buildings with it and it's served it's purpose. Now, since I upgraded, it would of been handy to import the files without redrawing them.

Dave
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous

o....k.... so it's not shady to use the edu version for commerical use?
it's purpose was edu only.

wrote in message news:6293017@discussion.autodesk.com...
Leia, Maybe it's shady in your circles? FWIW, The student version was
purchased due to pricing....and I have built several buildings with it and
it's served it's purpose. Now, since I upgraded, it would of been handy to
import the files without redrawing them.

Dave
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous

btw how'd you go about asking autodesk how to circumvent their edu stamp?
Did they tell you how to use their edu version for profit?

wrote in message news:6293017@discussion.autodesk.com...
Leia, Maybe it's shady in your circles? FWIW, The student version was
purchased due to pricing....and I have built several buildings with it and
it's served it's purpose. Now, since I upgraded, it would of been handy to
import the files without redrawing them.

Dave
Message 9 of 17
sjb3d

Not sure whether this is arrogance or ignorance speaking, but I hope Autodesk told you to go spit.

No, your behavior would not be considered shady in my circles. It would be considered illegal and pathetic, and would likely get you laughed at and/or scorned.

You should quit while you are ahead (although you are likely a behind) and redraw your files. You broke the law and got away with it up until now. Asking the people from whom you've stolen to help you get more out of it will likely, or at least should, cost you.

> {quote:title=daveredlin wrote:}{quote}
> Leia, Maybe it's shady in your circles? FWIW, The student version was purchased due to pricing....and I have built several buildings with it and it's served it's purpose. Now, since I upgraded, it would of been handy to import the files without redrawing them.
>
>
> Dave
Message 10 of 17
Anonymous

Educate yourself:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2881274&linkID=9240817

If you want confirmation, send an email here:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?id=12338355&siteID=123112

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

I bet they fix the files for him. Autodesk's aim is to get people to pay
for software -- and now he has, voluntarily if somewhat belatedly.

I just wonder how he dealt with the plot stamp on the "several
buildings" he drew with the student software. X-acto? Crop in Acrobat?
Or just leave it?
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous

"The student version was purchased due to pricing....and I have built
several buildings"

Please, that is called piracy and is illegal. Just because you didn't
download it from the internet or get a illegal copy from a friend, using a
ed version for profit is still piracy/illegal! And people wonder why they
pay so much for software, it's because of people like you! Ed versions are
meant only for educators and students, so they can learn the software
without using it to make money.
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

I hope you guys realize these issues have been around since 1984. I usually don't reply to this type of thread because I'm busy yawning.

Anyway, I left AutoCad about 15 years ago, I am glad I did simply because Linux is open source and they have LibreCad, which it's all free. Take the time to learn scripting and you can bring your drawings into LibreCad without the stamps, legally I might add. Linux actually acts like a real computer should without all the stupid limits Microsoft and buddies put on it. Of course, if you know how to program in C, you can get around that legaly as well. When it comes to software, there is always loopholes for loopholes available.

There is no need to use AutoCad LT or basic AutoCad anymore. The ONLY benefit is in the Autodesk Specialized versions such as Electrical, Inventor, etc.

If you must have Microsoft, you can download a version of VMware player for free, install you a favorite flavor of Linux, put LibreCad on it, modify your files that belong to you and nobody else regardless if they made the software you put your own hard work in to, and bring it back over to a Microsoft OS. You can write a script to strip all stamps in the drawing...however many drawings you have, say like a 100 or so, without sitting at the computer all day deleting things. Which Linux scripting is a WHOLE lot easier to use and program over languages required in Windows.

This method really is no different legally than taking a screen capture of your drawing, importing the image file into Adobe Acrobat, and removing the stamp from there. Write you a script to automate that process. Adobe Photoshop does this VERY fast with JavaScript, but Adobe Acrobat has a JavaScript editor built in it as well. Photoshop allows you to create a macro though by point and click.

The other great thing about LibreCAD is you can draw with it across 3 platforms for free, Windows, Mac, and Linux. It does recognize .DXF file formats as well. QCad will allow you to view .DWG files and export them to .PDF from the Linux command line, but again, that's a lot of work if you don't have a script ready.

Bottom line, don't let ANY software company put their name on YOUR work. Second point, I can do anything I need to that AutoCad can with LibreOffice, LibreCAD, and Adobe Creative Suite...which the total price of software on that is 59 bucks a month for the Enterprise Edition of Adobe CS6....creates manuals, forms, Catalogs, Websites, Artwork in 2D and 3D, Movies, Presentations, AND....get this, Project Management. With scripting in Linux, I can create my own mini programs to do the math for stress testing of materials, figure out bends for CNC machining, remember electrical formulas for me, and create a quick library for PLC programming.

Hope this information helps you out in your career.

Peace out bro.

Message 14 of 17
pendean

Hey Bro, you're answering a post from 2009 😉
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I know right? Seems like Autodesk would have addressed the issue by now. But I digress. Like I said, this issue is actually from 1984.

Message 16 of 17
DarrenP

Autocad 2015 can get rid of this

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Educati...

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 17 of 17
pendean

Yep, your info is as old as the original post. Now you know, spread the word before big evil Autodesk who doesn't listen to anyone changes their mind 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost