AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange door numbering

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
olsonda
448 Views, 5 Replies

Strange door numbering

I have a project with seven floor.  Each floor has one door.  I have drawn each floor in it's own construct.  I have then set up the respective view for each floor.  I then tag the door in the view and it works as designed.  The plans are quite small so I can get three plans on a single sheet.  When I drop the views of each floor onto the sheet they come in as designed except the door numbering gets screwed up.  The first door is numbered as expected (101A), the other three do not come in as expected.  The second floor will come in as (101A) .  The third and fourth floors will come in as ( 201A).  I have deleted all views from the drawings, detached all XREF's and purged the sheet drawing.  When I re-insert the views I will get some combination of the dorr numbers, but they still are not correct.

The constructs are not XREF'd into each other and the view drawings only have the single construct of their floor XREF'd in.  I am hoping that I am missing something here so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I am using Architecture 2012.

Have a great weekend!

Darek

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
David_W_Koch
in reply to: olsonda

In the Sheet file, you are adding View files from multiple floors, and they are likely stacking directly on top of one another.  Location grips look "down" (negative Z) and latch onto the first Space or AEC Polygon (one or the other, set in the Location Property Defintion) it finds.  If there are multiple Spaces at the same elevation as the Door, as would be the case with multiple Views of the same building area, on different floors, in a single Sheet, there is no way for the end user to control which of the Spaces the Door will find, and it often is not the desired Space, as you have found.

Perhaps someone who uses Project Navigator more often that I do can offer better advice, but one solution would be to manually separate the floors on the Model "tab" and then the view within the viewports on your Layout "tab" accordingly.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 6
olsonda
in reply to: David_W_Koch

David,

Thanks for your reply.  I had initially thought that the stacked XREF's were the issues as well, but it doesn't seem to solve the issue.  The tags with spaces are really sticky once they grab the wrong space.  I even tried using the OBJRELUPDATE commands to force a new sync with no success.  If I inserted all of the plans and then moved them the door numbers would not sync with the correct space once they grabbed the wrong one.  To resolve the issue I finally had to insert each xref, move it so they could not overlap, adjust the viewport to match the move in model space and then proceed to the next floor plan.  This seems to be working at least for the time being.

Darek

Message 4 of 6
cadtastrophe

If you are using Project Navigator I would suggest utilizing levels, by assigning a different level to each floor you eliminate the tag noticing the other levels.  If this hasnt been fixed and you want further info let me know. 

As an aside David you assisted me 5 or 6 years ago to create the tags we use for this purpose and they have proven to be very effective and reliable from year to  year and release to release... thanks (again)

Jeff

Message 5 of 6
olsonda
in reply to: cadtastrophe

Jeff,

I am using project navigator.  I have also assigned a seperate level to each of my floors.  I have been using these door tags, project navigator, the works for years and I can't say that I have ever had this problem.  Like I said in an earlier post the doors work totally correct in the view drawings.  It is not until all of the views are XREF'd together in the sheet file that the issue arrises.  To solve the problem I ended up inserting each xref and then moving them so they are not stacked on top of each other in the sheet file.  As long as they don't overlap there is no problem.

Thanks for the help!

Darek

Message 6 of 6
SharlaL

I have had the same problem occur, using levels as well, when putting plans for multiple floors on the same sheet. The only solution I could ever find was the same thing you found...move the view files away from each other in the sheet model space.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost