AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

square footage

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
hcermig
579 Views, 3 Replies

square footage

I had posted this before but didn't really get a response, so I figured lets try for round two!!!  I need to calculate square footage quickly.  I am currently polylining everything, but doing whole buildings is driving me NUTS!!!! Here is what I need to do quicker:

Calculate square feet of each room with these requirements:

- When meeting a hallway to the outside face of the wall

- when next to an adjoining space, to the midpoint of the wall

- When against an outer wall, going to the face of the wall. 

Please help!  I am going out of my mind polylining everything! Also, the drawings are not polylined to begin with so this is making it harder!

Heather

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pendean
in reply to: hcermig

Automation and speed only happen with preplanning: how are your rooms drawn? There is nothing in ACA to guess at how you want polylines drawn.
Message 3 of 4
David_W_Koch
in reply to: hcermig

Are the drawings composed of AutoCAD Architeture objects (Walls, Doors, etc.), or are they just AutoCAD objects (lines, arcs, polylines, etc.)?

If the former, you might consider using Spaces instead of polylines, particularly if one of the supplied Area Calculation Standards (Basic standard, DIN-277, BOMA, and SIS) matches what you describe. Each Space can have four boundaries, Base, Net, Usable and Gross. If you have to manually adjust the Space boundaries, then it may not be much faster than using polylines.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 4 of 4
BBP-Arch
in reply to: David_W_Koch

I agree. I know of no way to make use of all the plines.

It will make you nuts at first, but use Spaces. They're flexible and easy to edit. Then you have to Tag each Space...another step, yes. Then you can generate a Schedule that will have more than enough info for you. Then, if you make any changes to the spaces, the Schedule updates automatically.

Scott.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost