AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spaces: Tags & Voids

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
BBP-Arch
483 Views, 1 Reply

Spaces: Tags & Voids

ACA2011

It's been a while since I used Spaces and their related Tags, but...I have 2 questions here:

• I opened the Spaces Residential Imperial drawing that came with the program. I copied some of the Residential Spaces (& their associated Tags) into my drawing. I created the Spaces I need without problem. However, I'd like to Tag the spaces with the same Tag from the master Space drawing from which I sourced these Spaces. That Tag just has the Space (Room) Name, Footage, and Overall Dimensions. When I try to Tag the Spaces in my drawing, the only Tags available on the Tool Ribbon are "Room Tag", "Room Tag - Project Based" & "Room Tag - BOMA". Each of these Tags has the Space Name and a rectangle with the Space Number. How do I get the Space Tag from the original file that doesn't have the rectangle with the space number?
  • I seem to remember when I last used Spaces in a Commercial, BOMA type scenario, each space had grips for a few different boundaries within it that I could use to go to outside face of wall, interior face of wall, etc. How do I access these grips again?

Thanks,

Scott.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
David_W_Koch
in reply to: BBP-Arch

Did you copy an instance of the Multi-View Block Schedule Tag from the residential space style source file?  Do you still have the instance in your file?  If so, you could select that instance of the tag and choose Add Selected from the Tag contextual ribbon tab.   Or, select the tag, right click and choose Add Selected from the context menu.  You should then be able to select a Space and tag it.  You may need to edit the style of the Space and add the Space Styles Property Set Definition to get all of the properties to show properly in the tag.

If you do not have an instance of that tag anymore, but have the Multi-View Block Definition for it in your file, you could use one of the other tag tools and place a tag.  Then select the placed tag and use the Properties palette to change the tag's Definition property to the one you want.

Finally, you could open the Content Browser, and find a tool for that tag in the Documentation Tool Catalog - Imperial catalog > Schedule Tags > Room & Finish Tags > Room Tag (w/ Dimensions).  Add that tool to an editable tool palette or i-Drop it into your drawing.

In order to be able to edit the various Space Boundary types other than the base boundary (net, usable and/or gross), you have to be in a Plan view and you need to verify that the associated display components for Spaces are turned on in the active Display Representation for Spaces.  To manually edit the boundaries, select a Space or Spaces and on the Design tab of the Properties palette, change the Offset boundaries property from By style to Manual.  With a Space that has been set to manual offsets selected, you will see four gray circular grips around the square cyan location grip.  A dark gray grip indicates that boundary is not editable; select it to make it light gray and turn on the associated grips.  Base boundary is "above" the location grip; Net boundary is to the left; gross boundary is below; and usable boundary is to the right.

If you want to automate this, you leave the Offset boundaries property set to By style and then edit each Space style and specify a fixed offset for each boundary type on the Design Rules tab of the Space Style.  Or you can specify an area calculation standard from one that ships with the program (BOMA, DIN-277, SIS or Basic) on the AEC Object Settings tab of the Options dialog, and then apply classifications to your Space styles so that the chosen standard knows how to treat that Space.  There is more to doing this - I suggest reading the Help for more information.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost