AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapping to a wall end

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
bharder
991 Views, 6 Replies

Snapping to a wall end

I used to be able to snap to the end of the linework that form the visual end or intersection of walls while grip dragging a wall of one style to another.  For example, using a wallstyle as a countertop, I'd be able to drag it to the corner of a room and use object snap to the intersection.  In ACA 2012, the object snap defaults to the justification plane of the wall even if that's not where the intersection snap is desired.  I hope that makes sense.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Brian Harder

-Brian Harder
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cadtastrophe
in reply to: bharder

Not sure I am 100% clear on what you would like to happen, but if I am understanding correctly you could change the walls justification to ge it to snap to the inside of the wall.

Message 3 of 7
bharder
in reply to: cadtastrophe

Thank you for the reply.  What you suggest is an okay workaround, but it's an extra step.  You used to be able to snap to any part of the geometry of a wall.  Now you can only snap to the justification of the wall.  Sometimes that's okay, but just as often, that's not what is desired.  The same issue effects the ability to specify a base point other than the grip itself when grip stretching (lengthing) a wall, which is something I do all the time.  It doesn't work anymore.

In otherwords, if you're grip editing walls, you can't snap to the wall "geometry" of your choice, only the wall justification plane.

Other ideas?

-Brian Harder

-Brian Harder
Message 4 of 7
cadtastrophe
in reply to: bharder

I have been using ACA / ADT for a long time and i dont recall a time when walls didnt snap to justification lines.  Linework will snap to wall geometry but not walls.  Would applying a different cleanup group definition yeild the result you are looking for?  This of course cause the countertop to not clean up with the wall and therefore snap to the inside shrinkwrap of the wall.

Message 5 of 7
cadtastrophe

Sorry, response was not written very clearly, can clarify if necessary

Message 6 of 7
cadtastrophe

Just noticed in the osnap settings there is a checkbox "Allow general object snap settings to act upon wall justification line"

Unchecking this appears to allow one to grip edit and snap to various points on the wall.

Message 7 of 7
bharder

YES!  That was the magic checkbox.  Thank you for finding that.  You rock!

-Brian Harder

-Brian Harder

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost