AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

snap in 3d, move in 2d

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
xEndlessxUrbiax
5905 Views, 5 Replies

snap in 3d, move in 2d

I am wondering if there is a way in AutoCAD to use a point in 3d space as a guide to move an object -on a different point on the Z axis (up and down)- along a path dictated by the other point in 3d space. This is kind of hard to explain but for those familiar with 3dsMax, the snap options let you pick between snapping in 3d space or 2d space. When you choose the 2d space option, you can still snap to any point even if it is on a different point in the Z direction and your object will only move in its 2d environment. 

I am using AutoCAD Architecture 2011 and have 3d elements such as walls, door window assemblies... and I need to snap to points on object on a different z axis while only moving my object on its z axis.

I hope my question is clear and that there is an answer out there. 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

I think the 'osnapz' system variable will help you. Taken from help: It controls whether object snaps are automatically projected onto a plane parallel to the XY plane of the current UCS at the current elevation.

Osnap uses the Z-value of the specified point

Osnap substitutes the Z-value of the specified point with the elevation (ELEV) set for the current UCS

So just set the variable to 1 and and AutoCAD will basically ignore the Z values of osnaps. Hope this works for you.

~ Mary

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 3 of 6

That's exactly it!

Thanks, I've been looking for this for a while.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: xEndlessxUrbiax

Message 5 of 6
troma
in reply to: Anonymous

What version are you working in klomje?  I don't see that button on mine.

This system variable is also available in Options > Drafting > Object Snap Options

"Replace Z value with current elevation"

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 6
MarySeufert
in reply to: troma

Those buttons are in the status bar of AutoCAD Architecture and MEP. I wish C3D had it too! ~ Mary

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost